JERUSALEM: Israel says the Palestinian self-rule government in the West Bank informed it on Thursday that it will stop paying for the electricity Israel sells to the Gaza Strip as tensions between the territory’s Hamas rulers and Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas intensify.
Abbas has threatened to exert financial pressure on political rival Hamas to cede control of Gaza, a territory it seized in 2007 from him in bloody street battles. Reconciliation attempts since then between rival governments in the West Bank and Gaza have failed.
Palestinian officials in the West Bank had no immediate comment.
Hamas official Ismail Radwan condemned the move by Abbas.
“It’s illogical that Gaza is besieged and deprived of electricity, water and basic needs for the sake of political prices,” he said.
Gaza has suffered through increasing hardship since the Hamas takeover, which triggered a border blockade by Israel and Egypt. Gazans have endured power cuts, with electricity now available for only six hours a day.
Abbas halts payments for Israeli electricity to Gaza Strip
Abbas halts payments for Israeli electricity to Gaza Strip

New humanitarian crisis looms in Afghanistan as Pakistan forces refugees to return

- Mass deportation coincides with huge foreign aid cuts under new US policies
- Deadline for hundreds of thousands of Afghans to leave Pakistan was March 31
KABUL: Pakistan’s plan to expel most of its Afghan refugees this year will trigger a new humanitarian crisis in Afghanistan, aid groups warn, as foreign funding has been slashed and existing infrastructure is inadequate to support returnees.
Pakistan is home to about 3 million Afghans, many of whom fled their country during decades of war. This number includes Afghans born in Pakistan, as well as those who sought shelter after the Taliban returned to power in 2021.
They are the main group facing deportation under the Pakistani government’s nationwide crackdown to force out foreigners living in the country illegally. The drive also includes Afghan Citizen Card holders, who were given a deadline to leave by March 31. Pakistani authorities confirmed last week they were not extending the deadline.
According to UN data, 800,000 people with Afghan Citizen Cards and 1 million undocumented Afghans are currently set to be expelled. Since the launch of the crackdown in 2023, more than 843,000 Afghans have returned to their homeland.
“If they come in hundreds of thousands or millions, it will create another crisis in the country,” Abdul Fatah Jawad, director of Ehsas Welfare and Social Services Organization, told Arab News.
“Finding houses, jobs, and educational opportunities will be very difficult for this huge number of returnees. Health is another challenge.”
Over the past two months, more than 200 health facilities across Afghanistan have been either suspended or closed, and another 200 will shut by June due to external funding shortfalls, which come amid massive US aid cuts under the Donald Trump administration.
The US, which invaded Afghanistan in 2001, was its largest aid donor. It has been cutting its support since 2021. Washington withdrew its troops from Afghanistan after the collapse of its Western-backed regime and imposed sanctions on the country’s new rulers. It also froze all projects after spending billions on two decades of military and development operations.
The moves led to Afghanistan’s economic collapse and the disruption of basic services such as healthcare, education, and food distribution. Millions of people were left without essential support due to the collapse of institutions and infrastructure.
As the economy continues to reel and new aid cuts are implemented, the return of refugees will place an additional strain on a system that may not be able to bear it.
“With the overall shortage of donors’ financial aid, especially after the recent US funding cuts, Afghanistan is not prepared to receive large numbers of returnees at once and provide them with housing and livelihood facilities. This is a significant challenge and will certainly exacerbate the ongoing crisis in the country,” said Fareed-ud-Din Noori, country director of Women for Afghan Women, a US-based organization that has been providing shelter, protection and food services to returnees.
“Several international and national organizations that provided critical services to returnees in resettlement and reintegration areas in the country were forced to either close their offices or suspend their projects due to unavailability of funds.”
The prospect of immediately finding jobs for hundreds of thousands of families is unlikely.
“With unemployment levels skyrocketing across the country and livelihood prospects looking grim, these returnees will face significant challenges in starting a new life in the country. Afghanistan’s aid-dependent economy will come under increasing pressure,” Noori said.
“The international community’s financial support is compulsory to enable a proper response to the influx of returnees.”
The Afghan government, too, does not have a clear plan of how to handle the number of returning nationals and integrate them with the rest of the society. Its Refugee and Repatriation Minister Mawlawi Abdul Kabir said last month that Afghanistan would encourage its nationals to come back to the country, but they should be given time and return “according to an organized and gradual mechanism instead of forced deportation.”
Dr. Tayeb Khan, economist and lecturer at Kateb University in Kabul, warned that refugee children in particular will be affected by the forced migration.
“All of this is putting increasing pressure on the country’s fragile economy, leading to greater dependence on humanitarian aid and deepening the poverty situation. The government alone will not be able to integrate children of these returnees into schools and provide them with essential health services,” he said.
“Most of these refugees have established their own lives and businesses over the years they have lived abroad … When they are forced to return to Afghanistan against their will, they will struggle with finding a job or work at first. Tens of thousands of people in the country are already finding it very difficult to get employed, especially after development projects were suspended following the withdrawal of international funding from Afghanistan.”
Reviving heritage — the story of Bayt Isa

- Historic house in the Irqah district has been restored to its former glory
- Members of the public can visit and experience the traditional life of the Najd region for free
RIYADH: The historic Bayt Isa — named after Isa bin Mugayel — in Riyadh’s Irqah district is now open to members of the public following major restoration.
Born in 1873, Isa was one of the sons of Irqah. His grandson, Bader Al-Mugayel, spoke to Arab News about the deep connection to his ancestors’ legacy that led him to renovate the building in 2022.
“Three years ago, I saw the area. Of course, what made me interested was my grandfather,” he said.
After 16 months of hard work, the historic house is now open to visitors free of charge.
“We wanted this project to be Saudi-made and with local products,” explained Al-Mugayel. “The goal isn’t investment; the goal is that this place doesn’t die.”
Highlighting the architectural techniques used in the traditional houses, he added: “Any house has something in it. It has engineering. It’s impossible to build a house that lasts for a long time without a solid foundation.”
Some of the houses in the area date back 200 years. The distinctive Najdi architecture plays a crucial role in the heritage of Irqah and is characterized by flat roofs, thick walls and intricate geometric patterns.
The restoration of Bayt Isa adhered to these architectural principles, ensuring it reflected the traditional building techniques of the Najd region.
“When we came to restore, we found that they actually followed certain measurements. they didn’t exceed 3.5 meters,” said Al-Mugayel.
The resilience of the materials used, especially wood that can bear heavy loads, underlines the ingenuity of generations past.
Al-Mugayel’s commitment to preserving the integrity of the structures is clear in his approach — very little has been changed.
Future plans include a motel, to allow guests to experience a taste of life in another time. He also hopes to include local cafes and markets, prioritizing the involvement of local producers and families. The initiative aligns with the broader objectives of Saudi Vision 2030, which aims to promote tourism and cultural heritage.
“Our strategy is to ensure that local families benefit from this project,” said Al-Mugayel, who has engaged with those producing traditional Najdi food.
“We want everyone to come and witness how people lived in the old days,” he told Arab News.
“We opened it for free. You come, walk around, have coffee, tea, and see the house.”
IMF team arrives in Pakistan for second phase of anti-corruption and governance review

- The IMF team conducted its preliminary Governance and Corruption Diagnostic Assessment in February
- It is expected to meet finance division, central bank, tax authority and election commission officials this time
KARACHI: An International Monetary Fund (IMF) team has arrived in Pakistan to carry out the second phase of its Governance and Corruption Diagnostic Assessment (GCDA), part of the country’s $7 billion loan program, the finance ministry confirmed on Friday.
The GCDA is a detailed assessment tool used by the global lending agency to identify governance vulnerabilities in areas such as fiscal management, financial oversight and the rule of law. It is designed to support targeted reforms to improve transparency, accountability and institutional performance.
The IMF conducted the preliminary phase of the assessment in February at the request of the Pakistani government. Following the visit, it praised the country’s commitment to governance reform.
“Yes,” a ministry official said in a brief response on condition of anonymity, as he was not authorized to speak to the media about the issue, when asked if the IMF team had arrived in the country.
Another ministry official corroborated the arrival of the IMF team, saying it was the continuation of its first trip to Pakistan in February.
The three-member IMF team that visited Islamabad earlier had initiated its evaluation of corruption vulnerabilities across six core state functions in Pakistan.
That visit coincided with a separate IMF mission reviewing Pakistan’s economic performance under the Extended Fund Facility (EFF), which later led to a staff-level agreement expected to unlock a $1 billion disbursement.
Pakistan, a regular borrower of IMF funding, is undergoing the GCDA to identify priority structural reforms required under the EFF to help revive its fragile economy.
During the February visit, the IMF GCDA delegation met with Chief Justice of Pakistan Yahya Afridi to discuss the functioning of the judiciary.
In this second round, the IMF team is expected to engage with officials from the finance division, central bank, tax authority as well as institutions such as the Securities and Exchange Commission of Pakistan, Auditor General of Pakistan, Election Commission and the law ministry.
After completing its review, the IMF team will file a report and recommend steps for addressing corruption vulnerabilities and strengthening integrity and governance.
Its findings are expected to assist the Pakistani government in implementing reforms aimed at enhancing transparency, building institutional capacity and achieving inclusive and sustainable growth.
Pakistan aims to expand its economy by 3.6 percent in the current fiscal year ending in June, in a bid to generate jobs for its large youth population.
The country, home to over 240 million people, has faced a significant brain drain amid economic instability and limited employment opportunities.
The finance ministry officials denied local media reports suggesting that the visiting IMF team would provide input in the government’s ongoing budget formulation process.
Police summon US scholar in Thailand after army alleges he insulted the monarchy

- A copy of the police summons says the regional army command filed charges against Chambers, including violating the law against defaming the monarchy
- The 3rd Army Area, covering Thailand’s northern region, was named as the plaintiff in the document
BANGKOK: The Thai army has filed a criminal complaint against an American scholar working in Thailand, alleging that he insulted the country’s monarchy, an offense punishable by up to 15 years in prison.
Paul Chambers, a political science lecturer, said police came to his workplace at Naresuan University in the northern province of Phitsanulok on Friday morning to serve him with an arrest warrant and summoning him to the local police station to formally hear the charges.
Chambers said he will report himself on Tuesday and hopes to get released on bail.
“I’m basically in limbo because I can’t go anywhere. I’m not supposed to,” he told The Associated Press. “I don’t know what’s going to happen, but I’m kind of nervous.”
A copy of the police summons, seen by the AP, says the regional army command filed charges against Chambers, including violating the law against defaming the monarchy and the Computer Crime Act.
The letter, signed by Phitsanulok City police chief Watcharapong Sitthirungroj, said the warrant was approved by the Phitsanulok Provincial Court on March 31. Watcharapong denied any knowledge of the charges against Chambers when first reached by the AP, but when asked about his signature on the document, said he couldn’t immediately comment and asked a reporter to call back.
The 3rd Army Area, covering Thailand’s northern region, was named as the plaintiff in the document, but could not be reached for comment. Army spokesperson Winthai Suvaree could not immediately be reached.
The summons did not explain the details of the offense that Chambers was accused of. Chambers said he believes it was related to a webinar last October in which he discussed the influence of the military in Thai politics.
Thailand’s lese majeste law calls for three to 15 years’ imprisonment for anyone who defames, insults or threatens the king, the queen, the heir apparent or the regent.
Critics say it is among the harshest such laws anywhere and has been used in Thailand to punish critics of the government and institutions such as the military. The army plays a major role in politics and has staged 13 successful coups since Thailand became a constitutional monarchy in 1932, most recently just 11 years ago.
It is rare for a foreigner to be charged under the law, which has been applied frequently in the past decade during a period of political polarization.
Public criticism of the monarchy, a linchpin of Thai identity, used to be rare, but student-led pro-democracy protests began to challenge that taboo in 2020, openly criticizing the institution. That led to vigorous prosecutions under what was previously a little-used law.
The advocacy group Thai Lawyers for Human Rights has said that since early 2020, more than 270 people — many of them student activists — have been charged with violating the lese majeste law, often referred to as Article 112.
US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden had delayed, say sources

- The rifle sale is a small transaction next to the billions of dollars worth of weapons that Washington supplies to Israel
- The March 6 congressional notification said the US government had taken into account “political, military, economic, human rights, and arms control considerations“
WASHINGTON: The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters and a source familiar with the matter, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed over concerns they could be used by extremist Israeli settlers.
The State Department sent a notification to Congress on March 6 for the $24 million sale, saying the end user would be the Israeli National Police, according to the document.
The rifle sale is a small transaction next to the billions of dollars worth of weapons that Washington supplies to Israel. But it drew attention when the Biden administration delayed the sale over concerns that the weapons could end up in the hands of Israeli settlers, some of whom have carried out attacks on Palestinians in the Israeli-occupied West Bank.
The Biden administration has imposed sanctions on individuals and entities accused of committing violence in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, which has seen a rise in settler attacks on Palestinians.
On his first day in office on January 20, Trump issued an executive order rescinding US sanctions on Israeli settlers in a reversal of US policy. Since then, his administration has approved the sale of billions of dollars worth of weapons to Israel.
The March 6 congressional notification said the US government had taken into account “political, military, economic, human rights, and arms control considerations.”
The State Department did not respond to a request for comment when asked if the administration sought assurances from Israel on the use of the weapons.
CLOSE TIES
Since a 1967 Middle East war, Israel has occupied the West Bank, which Palestinians want as the core of an independent state, and has built settlements that most countries deem illegal. Israel disputes this, citing historical and biblical ties to the land.
Settler violence had been on the rise prior to the eruption of the Gaza war, and has worsened since the conflict began over a year ago.
Trump has forged close ties to Netanyahu, pledging to back Israel in its war against Hamas in the Gaza Strip. His administration has in some cases pushed ahead with Israel arms sales despite requests from Democratic lawmakers that the sales be paused until they received more information.
The US Senate on Thursday overwhelmingly rejected a bid to block $8.8 billion in arms sales to Israel over human rights concerns, voting 82-15 and 83-15 to reject two resolutions of disapproval over sales of massive bombs and other offensive military equipment.
The resolutions were offered by Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont, an independent who caucuses with Democrats.
The rifle sale had been put on hold after Democratic lawmakers objected and sought information on how Israel was going to use them. The congressional committees eventually cleared the sale but the Biden administration kept the hold in place.
The latest episode in the decades-old Israeli-Palestinian conflict began with a Hamas attack on Israeli communities on October 7, 2023 with gunmen killing 1,200 people and taking more than 250 hostages, according to Israeli tallies. Israel’s campaign has so far killed more than 50,000 Palestinians, Gaza health authorities say.
Israel’s National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir, a far-right member of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s government, oversees the Israeli police force. The Times of Israel newspaper in November 2023 reported that his ministry has put “a heavy emphasis on arming civilian security squads” in the aftermath of October 7 attacks.