ISLAMABAD: In his second address to the nation since taking office, Prime Minister Imran Khan warned the nation that if dams are not built, Pakistan will face a drought by 2025. He urged overseas Pakistanis to contribute funds toward building dams in the country.
The prime minister said he has been receiving presentations for the last two weeks on the issues of the nation. “I made a promise to my Pakistani citizens that I would bring to light the problems being faced in our country. The biggest problem we are facing today is that of water scarcity,” explain PM Khan in his address.
Narrating facts from his meetings, the PM said that in post-partition, 5,600 cubic meters of water were available to every Pakistani but today that number has decreased to 1,000 cubic meters. “Globally, 120 days worth of water being stored is considered safe, we only have the capacity to store water for 30 days,” warned PM Khan.
Stressing on the importance of building dams in the country and the failure of doing so being detrimental to our future generations, Khan warned, “We are left with no option but to build dams. Experts have warned that if we don’t start building dams now, seven years from now (by 2025) Pakistan will face a drought.”
Warning the country, and overseas Pakistanis, of the outcome of having no water Khan said, “If we don’t have water we will not be able to grow crops, if we are unable to grow crops we will not have food, there will be a calamity. This is why we have to start making dams from today.”
Khan also lauded Chief Justice of Pakistan (CJP) Justice Saqib Nisar for his efforts in raising funds for the construction of dams.
“I am appealing to Pakistanis all over the world today, start contributing fund from today for the construction of dams in the country, especially overseas Pakistanis. If each of our 9million overseas citizens contributes $1,000, we will accumulate enough money to construct both the dams and our reserves will also improve.”
“No one will give us loans; we are so deep in debt that we cannot even afford to take loans any longer. We have to construct these dams ourselves. I assure you that I will protect your money.”
PM Khan warns of drought, urges overseas Pakistanis to contribute to fund
PM Khan warns of drought, urges overseas Pakistanis to contribute to fund

- PM explained that Pakistan only has the capacity to store water for 30 days
- Experts have warned that if we don’t start building dams now, Pakistan will face a drought by 2025
Everything I did was for my country, Duterte says via daughter

The vice president would not be drawn as to whether this amounted to an admission of responsibility for the crimes her father is facing at the ICC
THE HAGUE: Philippine ex-president Rodrigo Duterte, facing International Criminal Court charges over his deadly narcotics crackdown, said “everything I did, I did for my country,” his daughter told reporters Friday.
Sara Duterte, who is also her country’s vice president, was briefing journalists at the detention center in The Hague after a long conversation with her father interned inside.
She also relayed that her father wants proceedings against him to move as quickly as possible, with the 80-year-old fearful of dying in custody.
“Everything I did, I did for my country. (I don’t know) whether that statement is acceptable or not, but I want it out to the world,” said Sara, relaying her father’s words.
The vice president would not be drawn as to whether this amounted to an admission of responsibility for the crimes her father is facing at the ICC.
It was the first reported comments from Rodrigo Duterte since he appeared tired and dazed at an initial appearance at the ICC, which he attended by videolink and barely spoke.
In a video posted when Duterte arrived in the Netherlands last month to face the charges, he had said “I will be responsible for all of this.”
Duterte stands accused of the crime against humanity of murder over his years-long campaign against drug users and dealers that rights groups said killed thousands.
In the prosecutor’s application for his arrest, he said Duterte’s alleged crimes were “part of a widespread and systematic attack directed against the civilian population in the Philippines.”
“Potentially tens of thousands of killings were perpetrated,” the prosecutor alleged of the campaign that targeted mostly poor men, often without proof they were linked to drugs.
In an interview with AFP earlier Friday, a lawyer for victims, Gilbert Andres, said loved-ones of those affected were seeking “truth and justice” from a potential trial.
The next hearing is scheduled for September 23, where the charges against him will be laid out, but Sara Duterte said her father was eager to get proceedings underway.
“He wants to go back to the Philippines. He said, ‘I am an old man. I can die anytime. But I want to die in my country’,” said Sara Duterte.
SABIC wins Edison Awards for innovations that are helping build a better world

Despite the complex challenges on the world stage, SABIC continues to stand out with its innovative solutions for a sustainable future, creating solutions that benefit both humanity and business.
Honoring SABIC’s commitment toward innovation, the prestigious Edison Awards has recognized the company for an unprecedented six of its innovative solutions across three categories — Material Science, Green Energy Transition, and Clean Water, Food & Agriculture – demonstrating once again how innovation and collaboration remain core drivers of its growth strategy.
This is the fifth year in a row that SABIC’s solutions have been recognized by the Edison Awards, which honors the world’s most innovative new products, services, and business leaders.
SABIC won one gold, two silver, and three bronze awards.
In the Materials Science category, SABIC won four awards: LNP WF0087N and WFB16NiQ compounds for smartphone middle frames that boost fire safety and signal performance; LEXAN LUX2289, the first ultra-white light-shielding material for headlight brackets; THERMOCOMP WFC061I, the first FR, laser-weldable thermoplastic for electric vehicle control units; and LNP ELCRES FST2734E, the first FST-compliant, sustainable, high-quality thermoplastic for railway interiors.
SABIC won an award each in the Green Energy Transition category for developing the world's first electrically powered steam cracking in partnership with BASF and Linde; and in the Clean Water, Food & Agriculture category for its unique, patented process that transforms by-product gypsum and CO2 into valuable agricultural products.
The company’s innovations are developed at its global network of innovation hubs, across the Middle East, Asia, the US and Europe.
Through these centers, SABIC develops groundbreaking technologies and market-focused solutions that address the world's evolving needs.
With its TRUCIRCLE initiative, SABIC develops a variety of innovative applications used across the value chain.
The initiative encompasses the company’s circular materials and technologies, including certified circular polymers from chemical recycling of used plastic, certified bio-based renewable polymers, and more.
Moreover, SABIC is seeking to improve the overall sustainability of energy storage solutions enabled by its BLUEHERO initiative, which is designed to help accelerate the transition to electric power and support meeting global goals on climate change.
SABIC also emphasizes strengthened partnerships with Saudi universities through knowledge-sharing initiatives that build their capabilities and drive groundbreaking ideas.
For instance, SABIC and King Abdullah University of Science and Technology have collaborated to develop a new technology for metalizing plastics that eliminates the use of a chemical that is classified as a substance of very high concern by the EU.
SABIC Agri-Nutrients is also bringing differentiated bio-enhanced fertilizer products to the market.
Its portfolio includes biologically enhanced urea fertilizer powered by BiOWiSH, which has the potential for lower greenhouse gas emissions than conventional urea and for increased sequestration of atmospheric carbon dioxide into the soil.
Turkiye says any Ukraine peace deal hard to digest — but better than more death

- Fidan said Turkiye supported a US initiative to seek an end to the war in Ukraine
- The sides remained a “little bit far away” from reaching a deal
BRUSSELS: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan told Reuters on Friday that any potential peace agreement between Ukraine and Russia would be “difficult to digest” but would still be better than the alternative of more death and destruction.
Turkiye, a NATO member, has maintained cordial ties with both Kyiv and Moscow since Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine in 2022. It has voiced support for Ukraine’s territorial integrity and provided it with military help, while opposing sanctions on Russia.
In an interview on the sidelines of a meeting of NATO foreign ministers in Brussels, Fidan said Turkiye supported a US initiative to seek an end to the war in Ukraine, but that the sides remained a “little bit far away” from reaching a deal.
“It will be extremely difficult to digest any proposal,” Fidan said. “But when we look at the other option, which is more death and destruction, I think whatever the conditions that we have... will be more reasonable” than the alternative.
US President Donald Trump “is finally following an agenda to stop the war,” he added.
Asked about potential security guarantees for Ukraine, Fidan said Europe could not provide them on its own without US support, but added that a deterrence factor was needed for the fighting not to restart.
“There is a huge effort to get the American side again to engage in security support to Ukraine,” he said, referring to recent talks among European states.
He added that “we should expect” that all sides including Russia would honor any ultimate agreement.
The prospect of ending the war has heightened Turkiye’s role in regional security, making it a key potential partner in the restructuring of Europe’s security architecture, as European powers scramble to bolster their own defenses and seek guarantees for Ukraine under any forthcoming peace deal.
Kyiv has said Turkiye, with the second largest army in NATO, would be an important guarantor for security. Ankara has said it would consider joining a peace initiative on the ground, though it has said details of such a mission remain unclear.
Fidan repeated Turkiye’s offer to host Russia and Ukraine for possible peace talks, after having hosted initial talks in 2022.
US SANCTIONS
Asked about Trump’s dramatic shift in US transatlantic security policies, including closer ties with Russia, Fidan said this could be an opportunity for Europe to be more independent after its “huge dependency” on the United States since the Cold War.
“If we see that the main actors are not hostile anymore (and are) having some kind of cooperation, I think the mentality that we have inherited from the Cold War, which was based on the hostility between mainly the United States and Russia will create a huge change,” he said.
Fidan, who met US Secretary of State Marco Rubio at the NATO summit after having visited him in Washington last month, also said he was hopeful that Trump would find a solution to end years-long US sanctions on Turkiye’s defense industry.
The so-called CAATSA sanctions were applied after Turkiye acquired Russian S-400 defense systems in 2019, also resulting in the country’s removal from an F-35 fighter jet development and procurement system.
The sanctions “should be corrected,” Fidan said. “I think Mr. Trump, with his problem-solving techniques and his team, will be able to come up with some sort of solution.”
Medecins Sans Frontieres ‘appalled’ by second staff member killed in Gaza within weeks

- Hussam Al Loulou died in the strike on Apr. 1 in central Gaza
GENEVA: Global medical charity Medecins Sans Frontieres said on Friday it was appalled and saddened by the killing of one of its staff by an air strike in Gaza, the second within two weeks.
Hussam Al Loulou died in the strike on Apr. 1 in central Gaza, alongside his wife and 28-year-old daughter, the organization said.
Uganda president holds talks with South Sudanese leaders to try to avoid civil war

- Goc said that the country’s leadership had assured Museveni of its commitment to implement the peace agreement
- Uganda last month deployed troops to South Sudan to support the government
NAIROBI: Uganda’s President Yoweri Museveni was expected to meet South Sudanese officials on the second day of his trip to the capital, Juba, as the UN has expressed concern of a renewed civil war after the main opposition leader was put under house arrest.
Museveni, who is among the guarantors of a 2018 peace agreement that ended a five-year civil war, held closed-door discussions with President Salva Kiir on Thursday.
South Sudan’s Foreign Minister Mohammed Abdallah Goc said that the country’s leadership had assured Museveni of its commitment to implement the peace agreement.
South Sudan’s political landscape remains fragile and recent violence between government troops and armed groups allied to the opposition have escalated tension.
Uganda last month deployed troops to South Sudan to support the government, but it was criticized by South Sudan’s main opposition party SPLM-IO, whose leader Riek Machar is under house arrest on charges of incitement.
In early March, the armed group loyal to Machar attacked a UN helicopter that was on a mission to evacuate government troops from the restive northern Upper Nile State.
Western countries including Germany and Norway have temporarily closed their embassies in Juba while the USand the UK have reduced embassy staff.