Sudan army rulers, protesters agree on 3-year transition period

Sudan's Transitional Military Council agreed with the Declaration of Freedom and Change Forces opposition alliance that the country's transition period will last three years. (AFP)
Updated 16 May 2019
Follow

Sudan army rulers, protesters agree on 3-year transition period

KHARTOUM: Sudanese army rulers and protest leaders Wednesday agreed on a three-year transition period for transferring power to a full civilian administration, even as negotiations over a new sovereign ruling body remain unfinished.
The protest movement is demanding a civilian-led transition following 30 years of iron-fisted rule by now deposed president Omar Al-Bashir, but the generals who toppled him have been holding onto a leadership role.
Talks between the two sides resumed earlier in the week but were marred by violence when an army major and five protesters were killed by unidentified gunmen at a long-running sit-in outside military headquarters in Khartoum.
The two sides announced early Wednesday after nearly 12 hours of negotiations that they had reached an agreement on the transition period.
“We agreed on a transitional period of three years,” Lt. Gen. Yasser Al-Atta, a member of the military council told reporters.
Atta said a final agreement on the sharing of power, including the forming of the next ruling body — the sovereign council — will be signed with the protest movement, the Alliance for Freedom and Change, within a day.
“We vow to our people that the agreement will be completed fully within 24 hours in a way that it meets the people’s aspirations,” Atta said.
He said of the transition period, the first six months will be allocated to signing peace accords with rebels in the country’s war zones like Darfur, Blue Nile and South Kordofan.
Protester Mohamed Abdullah told AFP that he was happy the way the negotiations had turned out so far.
“We will wait for tomorrow’s talks, but my only question is ‘Who will guarantee this agreement with the military council?’,” he said as thousands of demonstrators gathered for another sit-in overnight.

The army generals had initially insisted on a two-year transition period, while the protest leaders wanted four years.
Key negotiations however remain on the composition of the sovereign council, which will replace the existing ruling body made up solely of generals.
The generals say this should be military led while protest leaders want it to be majority civilian.
After the forming of the sovereign council, a new transitional civilian government will be formed to run the country’s day-to-day affairs and would work toward having the first post-Bashir elections after the end of the transition period.
Atta said that during the transition period parliament will be composed of 300 members, of which 67 percent will be from the Alliance for Freedom and Change and the rest will be from other political groups.
The Alliance for Freedom and Change meanwhile said the shootings on Monday were an attempt to “disturb the breakthrough” in talks.
On Tuesday, the United States blamed the army itself for the deaths.
They “were clearly the result of the Transitional Military Council trying to impose its will on the protesters by attempting to remove roadblocks,” the US embassy said on its Facebook page.
“The decision for security forces to escalate the use of force, including the unnecessary use of tear gas, led directly to the unacceptable violence later in the day that the TMC was unable to control,” it said.

Protest leaders, who on Monday had blamed the remnants of Bashir’s regime and allied militias, changed their stand on Tuesday.
“We put the whole responsibility on the military council for what happened yesterday because it’s their direct responsibility to guard and protect the citizens,” Mohamed Naji Al-Assam, a prominent figure in the movement, told reporters.
The latest round of talks which opened on Monday come after a break in negotiations that saw protest leaders threaten “escalatory measures” to secure their central demand of civilian rule.
The issue has kept thousands of protesters camped outside army headquarters around the clock ever since Bashir’s overthrow.
The sit-in has become the focal point for the protest movement, overtaking the near daily protests that had been held across Sudan while the veteran president remained in power.
But on Tuesday protesters in the capital’s twin city Omdurman also vented their anger on the streets.
Protesters gathered in the Abbassiya and Al-Arbaa districts, just across the Nile from the capital, with many chanting slogans against the military council, witnesses told AFP.
“Protect your homeland or prepare to die!” the protesters chanted.
 


German military to order exploding drones for first time, sources say

Updated 10 min 59 sec ago
Follow

German military to order exploding drones for first time, sources say

  • Russia and Ukraine have fielded such single-use drones
  • The procurement of armed drones has been controversial in Germany

BERLIN: The German military will be armed with loitering munitions, or exploding drones, for the first time, two defense ministry sources said on Thursday, as Berlin tries to catch up with a technology that has shown its destructive power in Ukraine.
Both Russia and Ukraine have fielded such single-use drones, which cruise toward their target before plummeting at velocity and detonating on impact.
But the procurement of armed drones has been controversial in Germany, with some politicians associating them with targeted extrajudicial killings by US forces in Afghanistan.
It took years of heated debate before parliament agreed in 2022 to enable a large drone such as the Heron TP, which flies at much higher altitudes, to carry arms.
However, military upgrades are more urgent now for Germany, amid the continuing war between Russia and Ukraine and doubts about the future of US military protection.
Last month, parliament approved plans for a defense spending surge worth hundreds of billions of euros.
Contracts with two companies for a first batch of exploding drones will be signed in the coming days, the sources said, declining to name the companies. The army, air force and navy will test them in the following months.
“The use of drones and the defense against drones is crucial for the survival of our troops on the modern battlefield, that’s something we learned in Ukraine,” said one of the sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity.
“Each soldier must be capable of operating drones, just as today, everybody knows how to use binoculars.”
Germany will aim to sign longer-term contracts by the end of the year for a larger number of drones, shortening the period for introducing new weapons which usually takes years.
As drone technology evolves rapidly, the deals will specify that companies supply a limited number initially for training purposes, and that they may be asked later to supply a larger number of the latest models at short notice, if needed.
“There’s no use in purchasing thousands of drones ... only to realize they are outdated by the time we need them,” one of the sources said.


Appeal in Algeria against jail term for writer Sansal

Updated 21 min 12 sec ago
Follow

Appeal in Algeria against jail term for writer Sansal

  • Sansal is known for his criticism of Algerian authorities as well as of Islamists
  • Sansal was arrested in November and stood trial for undermining Algeria’s territorial integrity

ALGIERS: The prosecutor’s office in Dar El Beida near Algiers has appealed against a five-year jail sentence imposed on French-Algerian writer Boualem Sansal, the Algiers bar association told local media.
Sansal, whose case has been at the heart of a diplomatic storm with France, is known for his criticism of Algerian authorities as well as of Islamists.
“Boualem Sansal and the prosecutor’s office appealed the day before Eid Al-Fitr,” marking the end of the month of Ramadan, which was celebrated Monday in Algeria, said Mohamed Baghdadi, an article on the TSA website said.
The writer’s French lawyer Francois Zimeray told AFP on Wednesday that Sansal had appealed, but that this did not prevent him from being pardoned if the appeal was withdrawn.
Sansal was arrested in November and stood trial for undermining Algeria’s territorial integrity, after saying in an interview with a far-right French media outlet that France unfairly ceded Moroccan territory to Algeria during the colonial era.
The statement echoed a long-standing Moroccan claim, and was viewed by Algeria as an affront to its national sovereignty.
On March 27, a court in Dar El Beida sentenced him to a five-year prison term and fined him 500,000 Algerian dinars ($3,730).
According to his French publisher, Sansal is 80 years old.
On Monday, French President Emmanuel Macron urged his Algerian counterpart Abdelmadjid Tebboune to show “mercy and humanity” toward Sansal.
Baghdadi was quoted by TSA as saying that a pardon is “only possible once the final sentence” is pronounced.
“The case can be judged quickly” and a pardon granted afterwards, Baghdadi added, emphasising that Tebboune is “sovereign in his decisions.”
The date for the appeal has not yet been set, according to TSA.
Sansal’s conviction and sentence further frayed ties between Paris and Algiers, already strained by migration issues and Macron’s recognition last year of Moroccan sovereignty over the disputed territory of Western Sahara, which is claimed by the Algeria-backed pro-independence Polisario Front.


Israeli action in Gaza leaves more than 39,000 Palestinian children orphaned

Updated 24 min 37 sec ago
Follow

Israeli action in Gaza leaves more than 39,000 Palestinian children orphaned

  • 17,000 children have lost both parents
  • Child labor, exploitation fears due to lack of adequate education, social support

LONDON: The Israeli onslaught in the Gaza Strip has orphaned thousands of Palestinian children — many of them losing both parents — which has left them with no means of support and no access to education.

The Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics reported on Thursday that at least 39,384 children in the Gaza Strip have become orphans during the 534 days of Israeli attacks since October 2023, with 17,000 children losing both parents.

The PCBS reported that these children face a harsh reality, struggling to survive without support. Many are forced to live in tattered tents or destroyed homes, with little access to social services or psychological support.

Palestinian children, including orphans, endure profound mental disturbances daily, such as depression, isolation and fear, due to a lack of safety and proper guidance, the PCBS said. It warned that they are vulnerable to child labor and exploitation in a harsh environment due to the lack of adequate education and social support.

The education system in the Gaza Strip has been devastated by the conflict, which has destroyed 111 schools with another 241 severely damaged.

Additionally, 89 schools operated by UNRWA (UN Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East) have been bombed or damaged, preventing 700,000 students from accessing education for the current academic year, the PCBS added. Some UNRWA schools have been turned into humanitarian shelters for entire communities in Gaza.

Israel resumed intense bombing of Gaza in March and launched a new ground offensive, ending a ceasefire lasting nearly two months. At least 1,066 people have died in Gaza since Israel resumed its military operations, according to the local health ministry.


Riyadh Metro on its way to reshaping the city

Updated 13 min 55 sec ago
Follow

Riyadh Metro on its way to reshaping the city

  • Some passengers praise affordability, design, while others believe it needs more speed, transfer routes, and reduced transfer times
  • Newly opened Qasr Al-Hokm Station is a key addition to the metro network, strategically located in Riyadh’s historic district

RIYADH: Riyadh Metro is rapidly reshaping the city’s public transportation landscape, providing residents and visitors with an efficient and cost-effective alternative to private cars and ride-hailing services. 

As the metro expands, its social and economic impacts are becoming more evident, from easing traffic congestion to influencing real estate trends. 

The newly opened Qasr Al-Hokm Station is a key addition to the metro network, strategically located in Riyadh’s historic district. It provides easy access to government buildings, cultural landmarks, and bustling markets, making it a crucial hub for commuters and visitors alike. 

To understand the metro’s impact firsthand, several passengers shared their experiences at Qasr Al-Hokm Station, highlighting both the benefits and challenges of using Riyadh’s latest public transport system.

For many residents, the affordability and ease of use make the metro an attractive alternative to private transportation. Menna Ali, a frequent rider, praised its cost-effectiveness: “It’s much easier to use, much cheaper than other transportation options. And you don’t have to stick in the traffic, and I’m happy with it.”

The metro is also helping to cut travel times for many commuters. Abdullah Al-Ghamdi, who regularly visits the area, noted how much simpler his commute has become. “I frequently visit this area, and I used to struggle to get here. Now, it takes me about 20 minutes from my residence to reach this place. Honestly, it’s excellent — saving time, reducing stress, and avoiding traffic. It’s truly great.”

However, while the metro is convenient for some, others note that it can be time-consuming, particularly when multiple transfers are required. Haifa Al-Marhum highlighted this challenge: “Honestly, it takes time — I have to go from one station to another and so on. So in terms of time, no, it does take a while.

“In terms of saving money, it definitely helps — whether for transportation, fuel, or for those who have a car or don’t. It’s a real money-saver, and on top of that, it helps avoid traffic,” she added.

While the metro provides financial relief for many commuters, its speed remains a concern. During peak hours, the overall travel time can be comparable to driving in heavy traffic, raising questions about whether it truly offers a faster alternative. Although it eliminates some of the stress of car travel and reduces fuel costs, the metro’s slower pace may not be ideal for those in a hurry.

Passengers at Qasr Al-Hokm Station also praised the metro’s accessibility, well-placed signage, and helpful staff. Fahad Hussain noted how easy it is to navigate the system. “The staff here make everything easy in terms of assistance and explaining locations. Everything is simple, and we haven’t faced any difficulties so far. Plus, the signs are available everywhere.”

The metro’s modern design and efficiency have also impressed international visitors. Georgii Korshunov, a traveler from Russia, described the system as futuristic, comparing it to Moscow’s extensive metro network. Meanwhile, Kate Pirogova, highlighted its user-friendly layout. “I like Riyadh Metro, it’s very modern, very simple to navigate.” 

To further encourage public transport adoption, authorities have introduced a free Uber ride initiative, allowing passengers to activate a voucher through the Uber app for complimentary rides within 3 km of any metro station. This initiative aims to address the “last-mile problem” by providing seamless connections between metro stations and final destinations, making public transport a more viable option for daily commutes. 

The metro’s influence extends beyond daily commutes; it is also shaping real estate trends in Riyadh. Landlords and real estate agents are increasingly promoting properties by emphasizing their proximity to metro stations, signaling a growing demand for metro-accessible housing.

This trend is common in global metropolitan areas, where transit-oriented developments often lead to increased property values and higher rental demand. As Riyadh continues to expand its metro network, neighborhoods near stations may see a surge in desirability and investment potential. 

The Riyadh Metro represents a major shift in the city’s transportation culture, gradually reducing reliance on private vehicles and contributing to Saudi Arabia’s Vision 2030 goals for sustainable urban mobility. By offering an affordable, efficient, and environmentally friendly alternative, the metro is paving the way for a more connected and accessible city.

However, the metro still faces challenges in terms of speed and efficiency, particularly for those who are accustomed to faster car travel, even in traffic. While its affordability and reliability are strong advantages, future enhancements — such as faster trains, express routes, or reduced transfer times — may be key to convincing more residents to make the permanent switch to public transport.


Trump moves to fire several national security officials over concerns they’re not loyal

Updated 36 min 38 sec ago
Follow

Trump moves to fire several national security officials over concerns they’re not loyal

  • National security adviser Mike Waltz is fighting back criticism over using Signal app to discuss attacks on Yemen's Houthi militants

WASHINGTON: President Donald Trump has moved to fire several senior White House National Security Council officials soon after he was urged by far-right activist Laura Loomer to purge staffers she deemed insufficiently committed to his Make America Great Again agenda, several people familiar with the matter said Thursday.
Loomer presented her research to Trump in an Oval Office meeting on Wednesday, making her case for the firings, the people said, speaking on condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive personnel matters. Vice President JD Vance, chief of staff Susie Wiles, national security adviser Mike Waltz and Serio Gor, the director of the Presidential Personnel Office, took part in the meeting, the people said.
NSC spokesman Brian Hughes declined to comment on the meeting or the firings, insisting that the White House does not discuss personnel matters.
Loomer, who has promoted 9/11 conspiracy theories, was a frequent presence on the campaign trail during Trump’s 2024 successful White House run. More recently, she’s been speaking out on social media about some members of Trump’s national security team that she insists can’t be trusted.
The move by Trump to push out staff comes at a moment when his national security adviser Mike Waltz is fighting back criticism over using the publicly available encrypted Signal app to discuss planning for the sensitive March 15 military operation targeting Houthi militants in Yemen.
A journalist, The Atlantic magazine’s Jeffrey Rosenberg, was mistakenly added to the chain and revealed that Trump’s team used it to discuss precise timing of the operation, aircraft used to carry out the strikes and more.
Waltz has taken responsibility for building text chain, but has said he does not know how Rosenberg ended up being included.