Russia’s RDIF enhances investment in KSA with support of green initiatives

The Saudi Green Initiative and the Middle East Green Initiative, which were announced by the crown prince on Saturday. (AFP file photo)
Short Url
Updated 01 April 2021
Follow

Russia’s RDIF enhances investment in KSA with support of green initiatives

JEDDAH: Russia’s Direct Investment Fund (RDIF), the country’s sovereign wealth fund, said it would work with Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund (PIF) to invest in the Kingdom’s green initiatives.

RDIF CEO Kirill Dmitriev said: “RDIF is very impressed with Saudi Arabia’s Green Initiative, announced by Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman. Russia and Saudi Arabia will continue (our) strategic partnership in many areas including the Green Initiative.”

The Saudi Green Initiative and the Middle East Green Initiative, which were announced by the crown prince on Saturday, aim to combat climate change, reduce carbon emissions in the region by 60 percent, halt land degradation, preserve marine life and raise vegetation cover by planting 10 billion trees in the Kingdom, and enhance efficiency of oil production.

The initiatives are expected to eliminate more than 130 million tons of carbon emissions by using clean hydrocarbon technologies in the Kingdom. As both Saudi Arabia and Russia are leading oil producers, Dmitriev has previously met with senior members of the Saudi government to continue cooperation on a number of projects and projects.

Dmitriev added: “Another important initiative by the Kingdom is the program to strengthen the partnership with the private sector, that will attract additional capital into the Saudi economy and ensure further growth and prosperity.”

The investment partnership between the PIF and RDIF was formed in 2015. In 2017, the Russia-Saudi investment fund was established by RDIF and the PIF, with a total commitment of $6 billion to focus on projects to foster economic cooperation between the two nations. In 2019, RDIF became the first Russian investment institution to open an office in Saudi Arabia.


KSrelief provides urgent medical, food assistance to crisis-hit regions worldwide

Updated 15 sec ago
Follow

KSrelief provides urgent medical, food assistance to crisis-hit regions worldwide

RIYADH: The Kingdom’s aid agency, KSrelief, is providing humanitarian assistance to assist some of the world’s most vulnerable people, the Saudi Press Agency reported on Thursday.

In Yemen, KSrelief delivered the fourth batch of dialysis solutions and supplies for kidney patients in Al-Mukalla district of Hadramout governorate.

Hadramout Assistant Deputy Gov. Fahmi Badhawi highlighted the importance of the supplies and expressed gratitude to Saudi Arabia for its support for Yemen’s healthcare sector and humanitarian efforts.

The scheme is part of Saudi Arabia’s broader efforts through KSrelief to provide healthcare services to patients and the injured, while improving Yemen’s medical sector, the SPA reported.

Meanwhile, KSrelief delivered food baskets to 155 families in Sahnaya town, Rif Dimashq governorate in the Syrian Arab Republic, benefiting 769 people. The agency also provided clothing parcels to 140 families in Aleppo governorate.

In Lebanon, KSrelief provided food baskets to 828 families in Western Bekaa, Akkar and Dannieh, and 467 food baskets in Beirut, benefiting 2,335 people.

In Sudan, KSrelief handed out 2,000 food baskets to displaced and needy families in Berber locality, River Nile State, benefiting 12,811 people, and 800 food baskets in Jebeit, Red Sea State, benefiting 4,720 people.

Since launching in May 2015, KSrelief has implemented 3,389 projects worth almost $7.9 billion in 106 countries, partnering with more than 300 local, regional and international organizations.

A recent KSrelief report shows the countries and territories benefiting the most from the agency’s projects: Yemen ($4.5 billion), Palestine ($514 million), Syria ($479 million), Somalia ($235 million) and other countries totaling $929 million.

Programs cover food security, early recovery, water sanitation and hygiene, health, camp coordination, education, protection, emergency aid, nutrition, and logistics and telecommunications.


Civil Defense issues heavy rain alert until Monday

Updated 59 min ago
Follow

Civil Defense issues heavy rain alert until Monday

  • The directorate indicated that moderate to heavy rain is expected in the Tabuk, Madinah, Jouf, Northern Borders, Eastern Province, Hail, Qassim, Baha and Asir regions

Riyadh: The public should exercise caution as thunderstorms and heavy rains are expected to continue across most regions of the Kingdom until Monday, according to the General Directorate of Civil Defense. 

Residents are advised to stay in safe locations, avoid valleys and areas prone to flooding, and refrain from swimming in them, the Saudi Press Agency reported on Thursday. 

According to the report, there will be dust-stirring winds, and moderate to heavy rain may fall in the Makkah and Riyadh regions.

The directorate indicated that moderate to heavy rain is expected in the Tabuk, Madinah, Jouf, Northern Borders, Eastern Province, Hail, Qassim, Baha and Asir regions.

The Jazan region will see light to moderate rain, while the Najran region will experience light rainfall, the report said.

The Civil Defense has urged the public to monitor official channels and social media platforms for the latest weather updates.


Saudi consulate in Los Angeles celebrates Eid Al-Fitr

Among those attending the event were Saudi Consul General Bandar Al-Zaid and officials from the US State Department. (Supplied)
Updated 02 April 2025
Follow

Saudi consulate in Los Angeles celebrates Eid Al-Fitr

  • The celebration underscored the consulate’s commitment to strengthening ties with the local community and fostering cultural exchange

LOS ANGELES: Saudi Arabia’s Consulate General in Los Angeles marked Eid Al-Fitr with a festive celebration attended by Consul General Bandar Al-Zaid, officials from the US State Department, the Vice Mayor of Irvine James Mai, the former mayor of Irvine, and accredited consul generals.

The celebration underscored the consulate’s commitment to strengthening ties with the local community and fostering cultural exchange, the Saudi Press Agency reported.

Through such initiatives, the consulate aims to highlight the Kingdom’s rich heritage.

 


Arabic Language Month begins in Spain

Updated 02 April 2025
Follow

Arabic Language Month begins in Spain

  • It features an exhibition, seminars, training courses, linguistic proficiency tests, and student competitions in partnership with Spanish universities and academic institutions

RIYADH: The King Salman Global Academy for the Arabic Language is hosting the Arabic Language Month program in Spain throughout April, the Saudi Press Agency reported.

The event is a comprehensive initiative aimed at developing Arabic language curricula, promoting the language, and highlighting Saudi Arabia’s efforts in this field.

The progeam is designed to strengthen academic and educational ties between Saudi Arabia and international institutions, the SPA reported.

It features an exhibition, seminars, training courses, linguistic proficiency tests, and student competitions in partnership with Spanish universities and academic institutions.

As part of the academy’s global Arabic teaching program, the initiative has been implemented in countries such as Uzbekistan, Indonesia, China, India, France, Brazil, Thailand and Malaysia, expanding its international reach and fostering global partnerships.

 


Saudi Arabia condemns storming of Al-Aqsa Mosque by far-right Israeli minister

Updated 03 April 2025
Follow

Saudi Arabia condemns storming of Al-Aqsa Mosque by far-right Israeli minister

  • Foreign Ministry criticizes attacks on sanctity of the holy site
  • Israeli violations of international law obstruct peace efforts and threaten global security, statement says

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia condemned the storming of the Al-Aqsa Mosque in occupied Jerusalem on Wednesday by Israel’s far-right National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir.

The Saudi Ministry of Foreign Affairs said it strongly condemns “the storming of the Al-Aqsa Mosque by the Israeli national security minister under the protection of occupation police.”

The ministry reiterated its condemnation of the attacks on the sanctity of Al-Aqsa Mosque, the Saudi Press Agency reported.

It also condemned Israeli forces for targeting an UNRWA clinic in Jabaliya camp, northern Gaza, and denounced attacks on UN and relief organizations and their staff, the SPA added.

The ministry said: “The Kingdom condemns these ongoing Israeli violations of international law and international humanitarian law, and affirms its categorical rejection of anything that would undermine the historical and legal status of Jerusalem and its holy sites.”

It added that Israeli violations of international law obstruct peace efforts and threaten global security.

The ministry highlighted the importance of protecting UN and relief organizations, as well as their staff, and called for holding Israeli authorities accountable for all violations.

Ben-Gvir’s visit to the Al-Aqsa compound in Jerusalem’s Old City on Wednesday prompted strong condemnation from Jordan and Palestinian militant group Hamas.

Rejoining the Israeli government

The minister, leader of the Israeli anti-Arab Otzma Yehudit party, visited the site after rejoining the government last month following the resumption of the war in Gaza.

Ben Gvir had quit the cabinet in January in protest at the ceasefire agreement in the Palestinian territory.

Since the formation of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's government at the end of 2022, Ben Gvir has made several trips to the Al-Aqsa compound, each time triggering international outcry.

The Jordanian Foreign Ministry also condemned Wednesday's visit as a "storming" and "an unacceptable provocation."

Hamas called it a "provocative and dangerous escalation," saying the visit was "part of the ongoing genocide against our Palestinian people."

"We call on our Palestinian people and our youth in the West Bank to escalate their confrontation... in defense of our land and our sanctities, foremost among them the blessed Al-Aqsa Mosque," it said in a statement.

The site is Islam's third-holiest and a symbol of Palestinian national identity.

Known to Jews as the Temple Mount, it is also Judaism's holiest place, revered as the site of the second temple destroyed by the Romans in 70 AD.

Under the status quo maintained by Israel, which has occupied east Jerusalem and its Old City since 1967, Jews and other non-Muslims are allowed to visit the compound during specified hours, but they are not permitted to pray there or display religious symbols.

Ben Gvir's spokesperson told AFP the minister "went there because the site was opened (for non-Muslims) after 13 days," during which access was reserved for Muslims for the festival of Eid Al-Fitr and the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.

In recent years, growing numbers of Jewish ultranationalists have defied the rules, including Ben Gvir, who publicly prayed there in 2023 and 2024.

The Israeli government has said repeatedly that it intends to uphold the status quo at the compound but Palestinian fears about its future have made it a flashpoint for violence.

*Additional reporting from AFP