Saudi-Uzbekistan council signs 10 investment agreements worth $12bn

The agreements cover various sectors and include number of deals between Ministry of Investment and Foreign Trade of the Republic of Uzbekistan, the Ministry of Energy of the Republic of Uzbekistan, and ACWA Power, a developer, investor, co-owner and operator of a portfolio of power generation and desalinated water production plants. 
Short Url
Updated 18 August 2022
Follow

Saudi-Uzbekistan council signs 10 investment agreements worth $12bn

JEDDAH: Saudi Arabia and Uzbekistan have signed over 10 investment agreements, worth over SR45 billion ($12 billion), during the Saudi-Uzbek Business Council in Jeddah on Wednesday.

The agreements cover various sectors and include number of deals between Ministry of Investment and Foreign Trade of the Republic of Uzbekistan, the Ministry of Energy of the Republic of Uzbekistan, and ACWA Power, a developer, investor, co-owner and operator of a portfolio of power generation and desalinated water production plants. 
“Over 10 agreements were signed between the Kingdom and Uzbekistan in several sectors, with a value exceeding SR45 billion,” Saudi Minister of Investment Khalid Al-Falih said. 


Netanyahu expected to talk tariffs with Trump in Washington on Monday, officials say

Updated 1 min 18 sec ago
Follow

Netanyahu expected to talk tariffs with Trump in Washington on Monday, officials say

BUDAPEST/WASHINGTON: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is expected to visit the White House on Monday to discuss recently announced tariffs with US President Donald Trump, three Israeli officials said on Saturday.
The impromptu visit was first reported by Axios, which said that if the visit takes place, the Israeli leader would be the first foreign leader to meet with Trump in person to try to negotiate a deal to remove tariffs.
Netanyahu’s office has not confirmed the visit, that would likely also include discussions on Iran and Israel’s war against Palestinian militant group Hamas in Gaza.
The surprise invite by Trump came in a phone-call on Thursday with Netanyahu, who is presently on a visit to Hungary, when the Israeli leader raised the tariff issue, according to the Israeli officials who spoke on condition of anonymity.
As part of a sweeping new tariff policy announced by Trump, unspecified Israeli goods exports to the United States face a 17 percent tariff. The US is Israel’s closest ally and largest single trading partner.
An Israeli finance ministry official said on Thursday that Trump’s latest tariff announcement could impact Israel’s exports of machinery and medical equipment.
Israel had already moved to cancel its remaining tariffs on US imports on Tuesday. The two countries signed a free trade agreement 40 years ago and about 98 percent of goods from the US are now tax-free.

Spider-Man actor Andrew Garfield to attend MEFCC Abu Dhabi

Updated 4 min 42 sec ago
Follow

Spider-Man actor Andrew Garfield to attend MEFCC Abu Dhabi

DUBAI: British American actor Andrew Garfield, known for playing Spider-Man, will appear at this year’s Middle East Film & Comic Con.

The three-day event will take place from April 18-20 at the Abu Dhabi National Exhibition Center.

The actor will join a list of celebrities that includes Charlie Cox and Vincent D’Onofrio from Marvel’s “Daredevil: Born Again,” “Star Wars” actor Ian McDiarmid, famous for portraying Emperor Palpatine in the space saga; and “Stranger Things” star Natalia Dyer.

Also joining the line-up are Grant Gustin, otherwise known as Barry Allen / The Flash, and Emily Rudd, the navigator of Netflix’s record-smashing, live-action show “One Piece.”

The stars are expected to take part in a panel discussion and will be available for autograph sessions.

Japanese voice actors Kotono Mitsuishi, Daiki Yamashita, Hideo Ishikawa and Kentaro Ito, and US voice actress Colleen O'Shaughnessey, will also attend.


Germany’s Mueller to leave Bayern Munich after 25 years

Updated 6 min 6 sec ago
Follow

Germany’s Mueller to leave Bayern Munich after 25 years

  • Bayern Munich talisman Thomas Mueller says he will leave club at season end

MUNICH: Thomas Mueller will leave Bayern Munich after 25 seasons at the club at the end of the campaign, the veteran midfielder announced on social media on Saturday.
Mueller, who came through the Bayern junior system and has won two Champions Leagues along with 12 Bundesliga titles, said the decision was made by the club and “not what I would have wished.”
The 35-year-old, a 2014 World Cup winner with Germany, did not reveal where he would play next season.


PM Sharif hails Ramadan relief success, orders digital wallet model for future welfare programs

Updated 26 min 22 sec ago
Follow

PM Sharif hails Ramadan relief success, orders digital wallet model for future welfare programs

  • Government transferred cash directly into digital wallets to provide Ramadan relief to deserving citizens
  • Over 951,000 digital wallets were used and 1.9 million payments made, according to official statistics

ISLAMABAD: Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif on Friday lauded the successful implementation of Pakistan’s Ramadan Relief Package 2025, praising the transparent use of digital wallets for fund distribution and instructing officials to adopt the model for future government programs, state media reported.
The premier made the comments during a meeting in Islamabad to review the execution of the nationwide relief scheme, which aimed to provide financial support during the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan.
The package, rolled out across the country including Gilgit-Baltistan and Azad Kashmir, utilized digital tools to deliver assistance to beneficiaries and was promoted as a step toward the country’s broader digital transformation agenda.
Under the initiative, aid was transferred directly into recipients’ digital wallets — secure mobile accounts linked to national ID numbers — allowing beneficiaries to access funds via mobile apps, ATMs or designated agents without needing a traditional bank account.
“Appreciating the effective and transparent implementation of the Ramazan Relief Package 2025, [the prime minister] directed the authorities concerned to emulate this model in future government schemes,” the Associated Press of Pakistan (APP) news agency reported the PM Office as saying.
It said 1.9 million digital payments were made and over 951,000 digital wallets used, marking what officials described as a significant move toward realizing the “Digital Nation Pakistan” vision.
More than 823,000 women and over 2,500 persons with disabilities accessed the funds through digital platforms, APP added.
Authorities said 79 percent of the allocated funds had been disbursed, with a team of 2,224 employees resolving over 1,200 complaints during the scheme’s implementation.
Millions of robocalls, SMS alerts and outbound calls were also made to raise awareness, the report added.


Patrick Reed leads by two, DeChambeau’s Crushers GC show way in team race at LIV Golf Miami

Updated 32 min 48 sec ago
Follow

Patrick Reed leads by two, DeChambeau’s Crushers GC show way in team race at LIV Golf Miami

  • In LIV Golf’s first US event of 2025, it was fitting that the top four players are all past major champions, three of them with at least one green jacket to their name with the Masters a week away
  • DeChambeau’s team, Crushers GC, also holds a narrow two-shot lead in the team competition through one round

MIAMI: Despite a double bogey on his closing hole, Patrick Reed shot a 5-under par 67 and grabbed the first-round lead at LIV Golf Miami on Friday at Trump National Doral.

Reed began his round on the 10th hole and put seven birdies on his card, reaching 7 under with a tap-in at the par-5 eighth. But at the par-3 ninth, he missed the green wide left and compounded the mistake by putting his second shot into a bunker.

Reed came back to the pack a bit, but he still held a two-shot lead over Bryson DeChambeau, Dustin Johnson and Phil Mickelson (3-under 69).

“I mean, the first 17 were great,” Reed said. “No, as a whole I played solid. I hit the ball pretty well off the tee, hit some quality iron shots and made some putts, and I think that’s what you have to do around this place.

.”.. Yeah, for the back tee with this kind of wind direction here on 9, I don’t know what to do. I don’t have a club for it that I feel like I can hit a straight shot, and it’s hard to start it over the water and get it turning back. It was just an unfortunate finish, but at the end of the day, it’s still a solid round of golf.”

In LIV Golf’s first US event of 2025, it was fitting that the top four players are all past major champions, three of them with at least one green jacket to their name with the Masters a week away.

Reed won the Masters in 2018, Mickelson has captured three green jackets and Dustin Johnson won the 2020 edition that was delayed to November.

“Obviously I was playing really good at the end of 2020,” Johnson said Friday. “But the game I feel like it’s getting pretty close to that. Obviously it’s a really fine line to being that good or just a little bit off, but yeah, I’ve got a lot of confidence in my game right now.”

Johnson had a three-birdie run at Nos. 14-16 late in his round to get to 3 under, while DeChambeau was steady with four birdies and just one bogey.

DeChambeau’s team, Crushers GC, also holds a narrow two-shot lead in the team competition through one round. The four-man team of DeChambeau, Charles Howell III, Englishman Paul Casey and India’s Anirban Lahiri combined to go 2 under par, with Johnson’s 4Aces GC sitting second at even par.

“There’s a reason we won here (at the LIV Team Championship) in 2023,” DeChambeau said. “They like this golf course. They like a tough, challenging golf course where you can strategically play and let everybody kind of mess up on their own, and we just plot along and make a couple birdies where we can and move along when it’s a really brutal hole.”