Official says two factories sealed after 18 dead from ‘inhaling toxic gas’ in Karachi

Paramedics personnel shift a patient on a stretcher into the hospital in Karachi on February 18, 2020, after a toxic gas leak in a coastal residential area in Pakistan's port city of Karachi. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 27 January 2023
Follow

Official says two factories sealed after 18 dead from ‘inhaling toxic gas’ in Karachi

  • The deaths in a port side village had occurred between January 11 and January 25, 2023
  • Incidents of gas leakages and fire are common in Karachi where many factories operate illegally

KARACHI: Two factories were sealed in Pakistan’s commercial capital of Karachi on Friday, a senior government officer said, after at least eighteen people died in little over two weeks from, according to health officials, inhaling toxic chemicals omitted by the industrial units.

A Sindh health department handout said the deaths had occurred between January 11 and January 25, 2023. The eighteen dead had developed initial symptoms of fever, sore throat, and shortness of breath before they passed away.

Incidents of gas leakages and fires are common in Karachi, where many factories operate illegally and without proper safety measures. Many are located inside or near residential areas without following security protocols. 

In February 2020, at least fourteen people died in a toxic gas leak in the city’s Keemari portside district of Karachi. In December, four more people died of a mysterious gas in the same locality. In 2013, a fire inside a garment factory in Karachi killed 258 people.

“Two factories that caused the deaths have been sealed,” Qasim Soomro, Parliamentary Secretary Sindh told Arab News, saying the factories were illegally operating in a residential area.

“According to initial investigation, the factories had burnt something that created fume. A forensic examination will determine the name and nature of the substance,” he added.

Senior Sindh health official Dr. Abdul Hameed Jumani said laboratory tests and X-rays showed that the deaths had occurred due to chemicals discharged by two factories in the Ali Muhammad Goth village.

“People who died had no prior history of the disease and they are from different age groups,” he said. 

He said no one had died after the factories were closed. 

“Some members of the team of doctors which visited the neighborhood on Thursday vomited when they returned from the field. But when we visited the neighborhood today [Friday], the situation had improved,” Jumani said, adding that the number of patients had also dropped to 26 on Friday from 50 on Thursday. 

Local elders also said they believed the deaths were caused by leakages from nearby factories.

“There was a certain smell, and it was something discharged by the factory which caused the deaths,” Abdul Hafeez told Arab News, adding that the people of the area regularly felt suffocated. 

Dr. Rana Jawad Asghar, who specializes in infectious diseases, however said Sindh health officials needed to conduct an epidemiological test before reaching a conclusion. 

“The Sindh health department has experts who may conduct a proper epidemiological examination for reaching the true causes,” Asghar said. 


Pakistan invites scientists, students to pitch experiments for mission to Chinese space station

Updated 04 April 2025
Follow

Pakistan invites scientists, students to pitch experiments for mission to Chinese space station

  • The country’s space agency has partnered with China to send first Pakistani astronaut to space
  • The mission is expected take place by late 2026 following the completion of astronaut training

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s national space agency on Friday invited scientists, researchers and students to contribute to the country’s first-ever human spaceflight mission by submitting proposals for innovative experiments to be conducted aboard a Chinese space station.
Earlier this year in February, the Pakistan Space and Upper Atmosphere Research Commission (SUPARCO) signed a cooperation agreement with China, paving the way for a Pakistani astronaut to travel to the Tiangong space station.
The mission is expected to take place by the end of 2026 following the completion of astronaut training.
“As Pakistan’s first astronaut prepares to undertake a historic journey to the Chinese Space Station (CSS), the national space agency calls for proposals for innovative experiments to be conducted in the extreme thermal, complete vacuum and microgravity environment of the CSS to maximize the scientific impact of this mission,” SUPARCO said in an official statement.
“This is a significant chance for Pakistan’s scientific community and emerging scientists and engineers to contribute to the nation’s space journey and make a lasting impact on the future of space exploration,” it added.
The statement said the Chinese space station orbits the Earth at an altitude of around 380 kilometers, completing one revolution every 92 minutes at a speed of approximately 7.7 kilometers per second.
The space station features state-of-the-art facilities, including specialized experiment racks for research in life sciences, biotechnology, fundamental physics, fluid dynamics, material science and astrophysics.
The Pakistani agency particularly encouraged proposals in agriculture and medical sciences, noting the potential of microgravity to generate groundbreaking insights in those fields.
“Proposed experiments should be novel, cost-effective, lightweight and feasible within a week in microgravity,” it said. “Submissions must align with CSS research priorities, be unique, and support sustainable development goals.”
SUPARCO highlighted the selected experiments could lead to high-impact scientific publications, patents or commercial applications, emphasizing the project’s potential to contribute to socio-economic development.
The deadline to submit proposals is April 30.


Trafficking of NATO, Soviet arms continues in Afghanistan, Pakistan years after Taliban takeover — report

Updated 04 April 2025
Follow

Trafficking of NATO, Soviet arms continues in Afghanistan, Pakistan years after Taliban takeover — report

  • While weapons management practices have improved over the past three years, their application remains inconsistent across Afghan provinces and communities, monitor says
  • The statement comes months after Islamabad voiced ‘profound concern’ over the presence of advanced US weapons in Afghanistan amid a surge in militancy in Pakistan’s border areas

ISLAMABAD: Trafficking and illegal sale of North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) and Soviet arms have continued in Afghanistan and Pakistan’s border regions more than three years after the Taliban’s takeover of Kabul and their seizure of the previous regime’s stockpiles, a Geneva-based monitor Small Arms Survey has said in its recent report.
The report, titled “Documenting Arms Availability in Afghanistan,” said as of August 2021, Afghanistan had 258,300 rifles, including M4, M16 and AK-variants, 64,300 pistols, 63,000 sniper rifles, 56,155 light, medium and heavy machine guns, 31,000 grenade launchers, 9,115 shotguns, 1,845 rounds of 60-82mm, as well as hundreds of thousands of accessories and munitions.
The paper reviewed field investigations conducted from 2022 to 2024 into the availability and prices of small arms, light weapons, accessories, and ammunition at informal markets in the Afghanistan–Pakistan border areas. It found that cross-border trafficking was more of a “slow drip” than a flood, with both newer NATO- and older Soviet-pattern weapons still accessible in Afghanistan’s eastern provinces and Pakistan’s tribal districts.
While weapons management practices have improved over the past three years, their application remains inconsistent across provinces and communities, with institutional weaknesses, including limited technical capacity and reliance on paper-based systems, undermining the Taliban’s control efforts, according to the report. Diversion to illicit markets and the “deliberate provision of weapons to various non-state armed groups” remain significant concerns.
“More than three years after the Taliban’s takeover and their seizure of the previous regime’s weapons stockpiles, the de-facto authorities have strengthened control over commanders and restricted civilians’ and private businesses’ access to arms,” the report, published late last month, read.
“Arms trafficking has continued — likely with at least the tacit approval of low-level Taliban officials — and evidence suggests the continued arming of UN Security Council-designated terrorist groups, including the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) and Al-Qaeda, alongside efforts to acquire conventional weapons systems on international markets.”
Many local commanders in Afghanistan view weapons obtained during the insurgency as personal property, or property of their respective fighting group, and therefore resist efforts to register and manage these arms centrally, according to the report.
Additionally, internal divisions within the Taliban, along with the personal networks of commanders, provide informal pathways to acquire weapons, bypassing formal approval processes. These challenges led to significant variations in control practices from province to province based on the influence of local commanders and their relationship with Afghan central authorities.
“When comparing prices in Pakistan with those in Afghan border provinces, US M4 rifles cost between USD3,325 and USD 3,700 in Pakistan, making them cheaper than in Khost and Nangarhar on the Afghan side but slightly more expensive than in Kunar, Paktia, and Paktika,” it read.
“In general, the wide variety in price is likely indicative of the condition of the weapons and their origin; sophisticated replicas may have also accounted for some of the lower-priced models. M16 rifles, however, are significantly less expensive in Pakistan, at an average price of between USD1,245 and USD1,400, compared to USD1,824–3,065 in Afghanistan... Conversely, Russian AK-pattern rifles are notably more expensive in Pakistan.”
In Jan. this year, Pakistan voiced “profound concern” over the presence of advanced US weapons in Afghanistan, which Washington has sought to be returned by Kabul’s Afghan Taliban rulers.
“The presence of US advance weapons in Afghanistan, left behind in the aftermath of the withdrawal of its troops in August 2021, has been an issue of profound concern for the safety and security of Pakistan and its citizens,” the Pakistani foreign office said in a statement.
“These weapons have been used by terrorist organizations, including the TTP [Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan], to carry out terrorist attacks in Pakistan.”
The statement came months after Pakistani security officials said custom authorities had seized a large cache of US-made weapons and ammunition worth approximately Rs35 million ($125,000) at a border crossing between Pakistan and Afghanistan. The weapons seized at the Torkham border crossing in Pakistan’s northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) province included M4 rifles and magazines, security sources said in Oct. last year.
Pakistan has struggled to contain surging militancy in KP since a fragile truce between the Pakistani Taliban, or the TTP, and the state broke down in November 2022.
The TTP and other militant groups have frequently targeted security forces convoys and check-posts, besides targeted killings and kidnappings of law enforcers and government officials in recent months. In 2024 alone, the Pakistani military reported that 383 soldiers and 925 militants were killed in various clashes.
Islamabad has frequently blamed the surge in militancy on Afghanistan, accusing it of sheltering and supporting militant groups that launch cross-border attacks. Afghan officials deny involvement and insist that Pakistan’s security issues are an internal matter of Islamabad.


Pakistan stock market hits record intraday high, closes slightly lower on profit-taking

Updated 04 April 2025
Follow

Pakistan stock market hits record intraday high, closes slightly lower on profit-taking

  • Analysts attributed the bullish sentiment at the start of trading to power tariff cuts announced a day earlier
  • Last week, Pakistan reached a staff-level IMF agreement after the first review under the $7 billion loan program

ISLAMABAD: The Pakistan Stock Exchange (PSX) hit an all-time high during intraday trade on Friday but closed slightly lower as investors opted for profit-taking ahead of the weekend.

The benchmark KSE-100 index surged by as much as 1,858.56 points to a record 120,796.67 during the morning session. However, the index later pared gains and ended the day at 118,791.66 points, down 146.45 points, or 0.12 percent, from the previous close of 118,938.11.

Earlier in the day, Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif attributed the bullish momentum to investor confidence in his government’s economic policies.

“Positive trend in business at the Pakistan Stock Exchange reflects growing confidence of traders and investors in government’s economic policies,” he said in a statement, citing recent economic measures.

“A major reduction in electricity tariffs has been made, which will not only provide relief to domestic consumers, but it is also welcoming for the business community and industries,” he added.

On Thursday, the government announced a cut of more than Rs7 in domestic and industrial power tariffs. The gains also followed a staff-level agreement with the International Monetary Fund (IMF) last week on the first review of Pakistan’s $7 billion loan program.

Ahsan Mehanti, CEO of Arif Habib Corporation, said the tariff relief and a year-on-year drop in the consumer price index to 0.7% in March had raised expectations of an interest rate cut, contributing to the bullish trend.

“Institutional support on the IMF deal and speculations over the government negotiations on [US President Donald] Trump tariff played a catalyst role in bullish activity at the PSX,” he said while explaining the early market bullish sentiment.

Raza Jafri, head of research at Intermarket Securities, noted that Pakistani equities had been performing well since the Eid al-Fitr break, in contrast to global markets, due to local policy developments.

“Domestic developments such as the ongoing IMF program and cut in electricity tariffs seem to hold more importance for Pakistan, which is relatively insulated from global developments and arguably a net beneficiary if the reduction in international oil prices more than offsets the impact on exports,” he said.

Despite the strong start, analysts said the late pullback reflected investor caution heading into the weekend, with many opting to lock in profits after a sharp early rally.


Pakistan Super League 10th edition tickets go up for sale online

Updated 04 April 2025
Follow

Pakistan Super League 10th edition tickets go up for sale online

  • The Twenty-20 tournament is set to begin from Apr. 11 and will feature over 30 matches
  • Online tickets can be collected from designated TCS pick-up centers or delivered to home

ISLAMABAD: Online sale of tickets for the 10th edition of the Pakistan Super League (PSL) began on Thursday, the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) said.
The 10th edition of the PSL beginning on Apr. 11 will host 34 matches in Karachi, Lahore, Rawalpindi and Multan, with the final scheduled for May 18 at Lahore’s Qaddafi Stadium.
This season will feature top local and international players, following the usual format with group stages and knockout rounds, according to the PCB.
Tickets booked online can be collected from designated TCS pick-up centers or delivered directly to home.
“HBL PSL X tickets online sale has commenced from 3pm PKT today as the marquee event is all set to begin from Apr. 11,” the PCB said in a statement on Thursday.


Physical tickets for the tournament will go up for sale at designated TCS centers across the country at 4pm on Apr. 7 onwards, according to the board.
The stadium seating for each match is divided into four categories: General Enclosure, Premium, First-Class and VIP Stands, along with the exclusive HQSP PCB Gallery.
Ticket prices start at $2 (Rs650) for the general category. Regular match tickets can go up to $21 (Rs6,000) for VIP categories, while playoffs and finals may cost as much as $35 (Rs10,000) for VIP stands.
The PCB said it will also hold a ticket raffle at every match, with exciting prizes such as motorcycles, smartphones and gift hampers to enhance fan engagement and offer a unique match-day experience.


PM Sharif forms committee to probe Pakistan’s failure to utilize Hajj 2025 private quota

Updated 04 April 2025
Follow

PM Sharif forms committee to probe Pakistan’s failure to utilize Hajj 2025 private quota

  • Committee to probe why Kingdom’s Hajj policy was not implemented by Pakistan’s religion ministry through private Hajj operators
  • Inquiry committee would also ‘fix the responsibility for this serious lapse, depriving thousands of Pakistani pilgrims from Hajj 2025’

ISLAMABAD: Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif has formed a three-member inquiry committee to investigate why Pakistan had failed to utilize the private Hajj 2025 quota by not complying with certain requirements of the Kingdom’s Hajj policy, a notification by the Cabinet Division said on Thursday.
Pakistan and Saudi Arabia signed the Hajj Agreement 2025 in January, according to which 179,210 Pakistanis were expected to perform the annual pilgrimage this year. The quota was divided equally between government and private schemes.
However, the South Asian country failed to fully avail the private Hajj quota and the inquiry committee, led by the Cabinet Division secretary, would investigate the reasons behind the lapse. The probe panel also includes the chairman of Pakistan’s Federal Board of Revenue (FBR) and the Gilgit-Baltistan chief secretary.
“The Prime Minister, while taking serious notice for non-availing of the private Hajj quota for Hajj-2025 due to non-compliance of the requirements of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, has been pleased to constitute an inquiry committee on ‘Hajj Arrangements,’” the notification said, without specifying the number of private Hajj scheme seats that could not be filled.
It said the committee’s terms of reference would include inquiring why Saudi Arabia’s Hajj policy, revised in 2025, was not implemented by Pakistan’s Ministry of Religious Affairs and Interfaith Harmony through private Hajj operators.
The notification said the committee would also probe the ministry’s efforts to get the pre-requisite formalities completed by private Hajj operators by the target date set by the Kingdom.
The committee would also “fix the responsibility for this serious lapse, depriving thousands of Pakistani pilgrims from Hajj 2025,” it added.
Speaking to a private news channel, Pakistan Ulema Council Chairman Tahir Ashrafi praised Sharif’s move, describing it as a “step in the right direction.”
“Due to this, matters related to private Hajj pilgrims will improve in future and the current situation will also come to light, as to what happened and why did the delay take place,” Ashrafi told Express News. 
In January, the Pakistani prime minister had chaired a meeting to review Hajj 2025 preparations, during which he had warned officials the government would not tolerate any negligence in their duties related to the annual pilgrimage.