Financial charges cast cloud over Man City’s dominance in English football

Manchester City’s Spanish manager Pep Guardiola, right, and his players gather on the podium at the Premier League presentation ceremony following the English Premier League football match between Manchester City and Chelsea at the Etihad Stadium in Manchester, northwest England, on Sunday. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 23 May 2023
Follow

Financial charges cast cloud over Man City’s dominance in English football

  • City have been England’s leading club for more than a decade thanks to the lavish backing of Abu Dhabi’s ruling family

MANCHESTER: Manchester City’s ruthless run to the Premier League title can be traced back to the morning of Feb. 6, when the club was hit with more than 100 charges of financial wrongdoing.

City have not lost a game in any competition since then and are on track to win three trophies, having also advanced to the finals of the Champions League and the FA Cup.

But even if the accusations made by the Premier League appear to have marked a turning point in potentially the most successful season in the club’s history, they continue to cast a cloud over City’s years of dominance in English football.

City have been England’s leading club for more than a decade thanks to the lavish backing of Abu Dhabi’s ruling family. The club was bought by Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan in 2008.

The latest title triumph was the club’s fifth in six years and seventh in the past 11.

On Sunday, as City celebrated with its fans at Etihad Stadium — named for a sponsor deal with the state airline in Abu Dhabi — there was no sign that the off-field issues were causing undue concern to supporters or players.

Instead, against a backdrop of blue smoke and explosions of ticker tape, the trophy was lifted to rapturous cheers and City manager Pep Guardiola spoke of his goal to lead the club to its first Champions League title against Inter Milan in Istanbul on June 10.

“We have the feeling we have done something exceptional in terms of the Premier League, but of course to be considered one of the greatest in Europe we have to win the Champions League,” said Guardiola, who has won 10 major trophies in seven years at the club. “Otherwise people will say our time here is not complete.”

City’s ongoing supremacy, however, is leading some to look again at the charges against it, with one column in a British newspaper last week asking whether it was “the greatest team or one built on years of cheating?”

City are accused of providing misleading information about their finances over a nine-year period from 2009-18 — a span in which it won three titles and signed some of the world’s best players, like Yaya Toure, Sergio Aguero and Kevin de Bruyne.

During that time, City changed the landscape of European football by becoming one of the most powerful teams in the sport. The club’s exorbitant spending has provided the foundation for the unprecedented success, and prompted questions about whether anyone can halt City’s dominance.

The Premier League charges came after a four-year investigation and the publication of leaked emails and documents, likely hacked, that were published starting in 2018 by German magazine Der Spiegel. The documents allegedly showed attempts to cover up the source of the club’s income in a bid to comply with Financial Fair Play rules operated by European football body UEFA and the Premier League.

UEFA created its rules after the global financial crisis 15 years ago to monitor revenue and spending of the clubs playing in European competitions like the Champions League.

The aim was financial stability in the industry by ensuring that spending was balanced with earnings, which included not inflating sponsor deals with companies linked to club owners. Critics said the rules protected storied clubs with huge fan bases from challenges by emerging rivals with wealthy owners, such as state-backed Man City and Qatari-owned Paris Saint-Germain.

If found guilty by the Premier League investigation, City face punishments as severe as a deduction of points or even expulsion from English football’s top division.

City already had a two-year ban from European competitions overturned by the Court of Arbitration for Sport in 2020, after a UEFA-appointed panel found “serious breaches” of financial rules from 2012-16.

But whereas CAS said some allegations could not be judged because of a statute of limitations in UEFA rules, no such time limits hamper the Premier League investigation. CAS also fined City 10 million euros (then $11.3 million) for failing to cooperate with UEFA investigators.

One internal email highlighted by Der Spiegel suggested City favored a legal fight with football authorities, noting that senior management “would rather spend 30 million on the 50 best lawyers in the world to sue them (UEFA) for the next 10 years” than consent to being punished.

The Premier League has laid out about 80 alleged breaches of its financial rules and has accused City of 30 more, which relate to its supposed failure to co-operate with the investigation.

In response, City said in a statement in February it had “irrefutable evidence” to put the matter to rest “once and for all.”

Guardiola provided a more impassioned response when addressing the charges days after they were announced.

“My first thought is we are already being condemned,” he said before adding he was “fully convinced that we will be innocent.


Liverpool restore 12-point lead as Jota seals win over Everton

Updated 03 April 2025
Follow

Liverpool restore 12-point lead as Jota seals win over Everton

  • The champions elect, with 73 points after 30 games, restored their 12-point lead over second-placed Arsenal

LIVERPOOL, England: Liverpool continued their march toward the Premier League title with a 1-0 victory over Everton in a scrappy Merseyside derby as Diogo Jota slotted home the winner in the second half on Wednesday.
The champions elect, with 73 points after 30 games, restored their 12-point lead over second-placed Arsenal while Everton, whose nine-game league unbeaten ended, are 15th on 34 points.
Everton’s Beto had an early goal chalked off for offside and missed a sitter before Jota broke the deadlock in the 57th minute with his first goal in two-and-a-half months. Anfield erupted when Luis Diaz back-heeled the ball into Jota’s path and the Portuguese forward beat a tackle before firing into the net.
“Massive, of course,” Jota said summing up the win. “Not only because it is a derby, but because of the (first game since the) international break. It was important to start with three points and hopefully that gives us momentum for the rest of the season.”
Liverpool fans thought Everton should have been reduced to 10 men after 11 minutes following a fierce tackle by defender James Tarkowski on Alexis Mac Allister, but Everton’s captain was only shown a yellow card.
The teams had met in an explosive derby in February that ended 2-2, with Tarkowski equalising deep in stoppage time in a chaotic game that featured four red cards, including one to Liverpool manager Arne Slot.
While Liverpool are unbeaten in 26 league games, they went into last month’s international break on a negative note after being eliminated by Paris St. Germain in the Champions League and losing to Newcastle United in the League Cup final.
Slot’s men looked sluggish and disjointed on Wednesday and Everton could have gone ahead when Beto raced away from defender Virgil van Dijk and beat goalkeeper Caoimhin Kelleher before hitting his shot against the post.
Kelleher started in goal for Liverpool, with regular starter Alisson recovering from a concussion suffered on international duty with Brazil.
The heated mood in Anfield was cranked up another notch with the contentious early tackle. Tarkowski won the ball but his studs-up follow-through caught Mac Allister square in the calf. VAR confirmed the decision of a yellow card, which gave the center back the joint most yellow cards without being sent off in Premier League history, with 63.
“I thought at the time that it was a brilliant tackle for a derby game,” Everton boss David Moyes said.
Former Manchester United defender Gary Neville said on the Sky Sports commentary that Tarkowski was very lucky to escape a red card for a tackle that was a “potential leg breaker.”
“We were playing against Everton, they make it very difficult for you,” Van Dijk said. The games we have played against each other over the years have always been tough.
“They have a certain way of playing and you have to be ready for it. The first half wasn’t our greatest but we kept a clean sheet and obviously Jota made a fantastic goal. Three points and we move on.”
Moyes remained without a victory at Anfield in 22 games leading Manchester United, Sunderland and West Ham United as well as his current team.
“Liverpool were the better team, there’s no doubt about that,” Moyes said.
“But I don’t like the goal, I think the goal was offside. I’m really surprised it wasn’t given. Or maybe I’m not surprised. I don’t think many managers come here and think that they get loads of decisions at Anfield generally.”


Newcastle beat Brentford 2-1 with Tonali stunner and Isak’s 20th

Updated 03 April 2025
Follow

Newcastle beat Brentford 2-1 with Tonali stunner and Isak’s 20th

NEWCASTLE, England: Sandro Tonali scored a sensational winner and Alexander Isak took his season’s Premier League goal tally to 20 as Newcastle United beat Brentford 2-1 on Wednesday to boost their bid for a Champions League place.
Tonali struck in the 74th with a goal destined for endless replays, the shot fired in from a tight angle near the right-hand touchline and leaving Brentford goalkeeper Mark Flekken no chance.
“Honestly, it was 70 percent cross and 30 percent shot,” said the Italian midfielder. “It was difficult for the goalkeeper and difficult also for me. Also a little bit of luck.”
Isak reached his milestone for the second season in a row by prodding home Jacob Murphy’s cross from close range in first-half stoppage time at St. James’ Park after reported Newcastle transfer target Bryan Mbeumo slipped up.
Swedish striker Isak had earlier squandered a golden opportunity by crossing to Harvey Barnes, whose header was ruled offside, instead of shooting directly in a rare moment of indecision.
Mbeumo equalized from the penalty spot in the 66th minute by calmly sending Nick Pope the wrong way for his 15th goal of the campaign after the goalkeeper had brought down Yoane Wissa.
Brentford pressed to the end after Tonali’s goal and came close in stoppage time, with a late penalty claim and VAR check after Mikkel Damsgaard went down with eight extra minutes already on the clock, in a nervy finish for the home crowd.
Damsgaard had also miscued and fired over the bar five minutes earlier.
Newcastle, playing for the first time since they ended a 70-year wait for a domestic trophy with a landmark League Cup triumph at Wembley, are now fifth on 50 points — one behind champions Manchester City and with a game in hand.
Brentford are 11th on 41.
“This win is nice for the Champions League for us, we have a good week and it is perfect for this week,” said Tonali, speaking to Premier League Productions.
“Now we play only for the first five teams, for the Champions League.”
Mbeumo, who has scored all 10 of his 10 penalties, said Brentford had deserved more with Ethan Pinnock also hitting the post with a header in the second half.
“It was a good performance but at the end it was not enough. I think we knew it was going to be a tough game against a very good side and at the end it was a bit frustrating. It is hard to take,” said the Cameroon international.


Barca oust Atletico to set up Clasico Copa del Rey final

Updated 03 April 2025
Follow

Barca oust Atletico to set up Clasico Copa del Rey final

  • By contrast the Catalans are on the hunt for a potential quadruple and are unbeaten in 2025, stretching their run to 21 games without defeat

MADRID: Barcelona will face rivals Real Madrid in the Copa del Rey final after Ferran Torres secured them a 1-0 win at Atletico Madrid on Wednesday, progressing 5-4 on aggregate from the semifinal tie.
Record 31-time winners Barca had the better of the clash at the Metropolitano stadium after the wild 4-4 first leg draw, and defeat leaves Diego Simeone’s Atletico with little to play for in the rest of the season.
By contrast the Catalans are on the hunt for a potential quadruple and are unbeaten in 2025, stretching their run to 21 games without defeat.
Atletico were the last team to triumph against Barcelona, winning before Christmas to go top of La Liga, but they now trail Hansi Flick’s team by nine points with nine matches remaining.
“We can’t relax, we have to keep believing and working, with humility and I’m sure good things will come,” Torres told Movistar.
“If a final is already a huge motivation, imagine playing against your most direct rival.”
Madrid ousted Real Sociedad 5-4 on aggregate as well after a 4-4 draw on Tuesday at the Santiago Bernabeu.
Flick brought winger Raphinha back into Barcelona’s starting line-up and the hosts tried to shut him down through fair means or foul.
Cesar Azpilicueta was booked for one tackle, surviving a VAR review for a potential red card, while Rodrigo de Paul was also cautioned for going in hard on the Brazilian.
Teenage winger Lamine Yamal ran the show on the other flank for Barcelona, firing wide and teeing up Jules Kounde, who bypassed Robin Le Normand with some neat juggling before lashing over.
The 17-year-old played in Torres for Barcelona’s opener with a well-weighted pass, finished clinically by the former Manchester City forward, who has earned more minutes with his recent performances.
Yamal mishit a shot himself from a good position in the box, while Atletico goalkeeper Juan Musso denied Raphinha at his near post.
Simeone brought on Alexander Sorloth among three changes at the break, after he scored three goals in the three previous meetings between these sides this season.
Perhaps convinced he would make it four in four, Sorloth fired narrowly wide early in the second half with Antoine Griezmann open and ready for a simple finish.
At the other end, Raphinha forced another save from Musso but was himself guilty of not squaring for Fermin Lopez.
Sorloth rattled home what he thought for a few seconds was an equalizer, but he had strayed offside.
With Atletico ascendant, Flick brought on top goalscorer Robert Lewandowski for Torres, but the Polish veteran struggled to get involved.
With four minutes of stoppage time added on Atletico turned the screw, with Musso coming up for a late De Paul free-kick, but Barcelona held off the hosts to progress.
Atletico were dumped out of the Champions League on penalties by rivals Real Madrid in the last 16 and the Copa represented their most realistic chance of silverware this season.
“We have to thank the fans who supported us, we’re as sad as them,” said Atletico defender Jose Gimenez.
“We have to lift up our heads, finish the season in the best way possible and carry on.
“We have to accept the reality, with rational thinking and knowing we’re a long way off (the top of La Liga), but we’ll try until the end.”


Inter and Milan draw 1-1 in first leg of Italian Cup semifinals

Updated 03 April 2025
Follow

Inter and Milan draw 1-1 in first leg of Italian Cup semifinals

MILAN: Inter Milan’s chances of a treble remain alive, as do AC Milan’s hopes of sneaking into Europe after the city rivals drew 1-1 in the first leg of their Italian Cup semifinal on Wednesday.
Hakan Çalhanoğlu thumped in the equalizer against his former club in the 67th minute after Milan forward Tammy Abraham had netted the opener less than two minutes into the second half.
Bologna beat Empoli 3-0 on Tuesday in the other semifinal. The return legs are scheduled for April 23-24.
Inter is on the hunt to repeat a treble haul of trophies it achieved in 2010 under Jose Mourinho. It has a three-point advantage over second-placed Napoli in Serie A — where it is the defending champion — and visits Bayern Munich on Tuesday in the first leg of their Champions League quarterfinal.
Milan has struggled of late and just two wins in its past six league matches has seen it slip to ninth in Serie A. Winning the Italian Cup guarantees a Europa League spot.
However, the Rossoneri took the lead right at the start of the second half. Inter midfielder Davide Frattesi tried to challenge Youssouf Fofana on the edge of the area but the ball came through to Abraham, who lived up to his reputation as a big game goalscorer with an angled strike into the bottom left corner.
But Çalhanoğlu levelled 20 minutes later with a powerful 20-yard effort that squirmed under Milan goalkeeper Mike Maignan.


Stuttgart beat Leipzig to reach German Cup final

Updated 03 April 2025
Follow

Stuttgart beat Leipzig to reach German Cup final

  • The victory continues Stuttgart’s rise since former Leipzig youth-team coach Sebastian Hoeness took over in April 2023

STUTTGART, Germany: Stuttgart set up a German Cup final clash with third-division Arminia Bielefeld after a 3-1 win over RB Leipzig on Wednesday.
Under the watchful eyes of Jurgen Klopp, the new head of global soccer for Leipzig’s owners Red Bull, the visitors were outclassed by a strong Stuttgart side.
Goals from Angelo Stiller, Nick Woltemade and Jamie Leweling took Stuttgart to victory, putting them on track for a first German Cup triumph since 1997.
The victory continues Stuttgart’s rise since former Leipzig youth-team coach Sebastian Hoeness took over in April 2023.
“We’re going to Berlin,” Hoeness told Germany’s ZDF.
“Unbelievable. The lads are unbelievable... it’s incredible. It’s a dream to travel to Berlin.
“We rewarded ourselves with goals at the right moment and when we needed to we defended with passion.”
The coach ended his post-match interview early before sprinting across the field to have his picture taken with the rest of the squad in front of the club’s ecstatic home fans.
Hoeness has become one of the most sought-after coaches in Europe, having led Stuttgart from relegation candidates to runners-up last season, and now the German Cup final.
The five-time German champions and three-time cup winners will be heavy favorites in Berlin in May, against a Bielefeld side who stunned holders Bayer Leverkusen on Tuesday.
Leipzig, winners of two of the past three German Cups, had a chaotic lead-up to the match.
On Sunday, the Saxons fired coach Marco Rose, who led them to the trophy two seasons ago, replacing him with interim boss Zsolt Low.
Klopp, a close friend of Rose who brought him to the club while coaching Mainz in 2002 but who signed off on Sunday’s decision, was spotted watching on from the stands on Wednesday.
Stiller put the hosts on track five minutes in, smacking home an unstoppable volley from outside the box to give Stuttgart the lead.
Leipzig were stunned but took control soon after. Visiting striker Lois Openda was kept at bay despite three clear chances between the 15 and 35-minute marks.
Woltemade doubled Stuttgart’s lead 12 minutes into the second half, sliding the ball under the goalkeeper after a clever one-two with Ermedin Demirovic.
Leipzig hit back almost immediately when Sesko hammered in with 62 minutes gone after beating the offside trap.
The visitors were in the ascendancy and an equalizer looked likely until Woltemade headed goalwards from a Stiller cross, with the ball bouncing to Leweling who tapped in from two yards out.
Three-time winners Stuttgart have not qualified for the final since 2013, when they lost to a treble-bound Bayern, and last won in 1997.
Founded in 2009 and promoted to the top flight for the first time in 2016, Leipzig had previously won four from four German Cup semifinals.