PCB seeks government permission to participate in World Cup 2023 in India 

This picture taken on September 7, 2017 shows pigeons resting on a sign for the Pakistan Cricket Board at the Gaddafi Stadium in Lahore. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 02 July 2023
Follow

PCB seeks government permission to participate in World Cup 2023 in India 

  • Pakistan Cricket Board has said in the past it will not travel to India without permission from the government 
  • India and Pakistan are scheduled to face each other at the Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad on October 15

ISLAMABAD: The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has written a letter to the government, seeking permission to participate in the upcoming cricket World Cup which would be hosted by India later this year, a source familiar with the development confirmed on Sunday. 

Pakistan’s participation in the 50-over ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup hangs in the balance as the PCB authorities have categorically said in the past that it cannot guarantee the cricket team can travel to India for the tournament without the government’s permission. 

Political tensions between the governments of India and Pakistan mean both sides have not played a bilateral cricket series at each other’s home grounds since 2013 when Pakistan last toured India for a series. According to the World Cup schedule released by the International Cricket Council (ICC) last week, India and Pakistan will square off at the Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad on October 15. 

“The PCB has reached out to the government for permission [to participate in the World Cup],” the source told Arab News, without disclosing the relevant government department from which the permission was sought. 




Members of the video take images of the trophy of the upcoming Men’s Cricket World Cup during an event announcing the tournament's schedule, in Mumbai, India, on June 27, 2023. (AFP)

Local media reports, however, said the letter has been written to Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif as well as the interior and foreign ministries of Pakistan. 

Before India and Pakistan face each other in the World Cup, the two sides are slated to play at least two matches in the upcoming Asia Cup 2023, which would be hosted by Pakistan. After India’s refusal to travel to Pakistan for the tournament, the Asian Cricket Council agreed to a “hybrid model” according to which four of the nine matches would be played in Pakistan while the rest would be played in Sri Lanka. 

A cricket match between India and Pakistan is a big-ticket contest, with millions across the world glued to their television sets to witness the action between the two South Asian giants. 

The nuclear-armed neighbors have fought three wars over the past 75 years, mostly over the disputed Himalayan territory of Kashmir which they both claim in full but administer parts of. This makes a cricket contest between the two sides a spectacle for fans of the sport worldwide. 


McLaughlin-Levrone, Thomas cruise to wins at Grand Slam Track opening leg

Updated 32 sec ago
Follow

McLaughlin-Levrone, Thomas cruise to wins at Grand Slam Track opening leg

  • The lucrative prize money on offer is one of the notable features of the four-event series, which was conceived by US Olympic legend Michael Johnson with the aim of revitalizing interest in track racing
  • Newly crowned world indoor 400m champion Chris Bailey continued his impressive start to the season with victory in the 400m in a time of 44.34sec, pipping Olympic silver medalist Matt Hudson-Smith of Great Britain

KINGSTON: Two-time Olympic 400m hurdles champion and world record-holder Sydney McLaughlin-Levrone cruised to victory as the opening leg of the new Grand Slam Track athletics circuit got under way in Jamaica on Friday.

American track star McLaughlin-Levrone — racing in her signature event for the first time since winning gold at the Paris Olympics last year — romped home in 52.76sec at Kingston’s National Stadium.

The 25-year-old, who will also race in Sunday’s 400m, was always in control and had opened a significant lead as she came off the final bend before pulling away to finish several meters clear of 2016 Olympic champion Dalilah Muhammad, who was second in 54.59sec.

“You know, just shaking the cobwebs off,” McLaughlin-Levrone said after her first race of the year. “The first one always hurts, but happy to be here.”

McLaughlin-Levrone is now in pole position to claim the $100,000 being offered to the athlete with the best combined result from the 400m hurdles and 400m.

The lucrative prize money on offer is one of the notable features of the four-event series, which was conceived by US Olympic legend Michael Johnson with the aim of revitalizing interest in track racing.

The opening action of a series that has been billed as the dawn of a new era for the sport was played out in front of a mostly empty stadium.

In other action on Friday, Olympic 200m champion Gabby Thomas was a similarly emphatic winner in her specialist race.

The 28-year-old surged home in 22.62sec to finish well clear of Marileidy Paulino, the Dominican Republic’s Paris Olympics 400m gold medalist, who clocked 22.96sec.

Britain’s Dina Asher-Smith was third in 22.96sec.

“It’s really exciting to be here,” Thomas said after her win.

Thomas said the prize money offered by the circuit had created an unusually intense degree of competition for an early season event.

“Normally, these early season meets we’re just practicing and feeling it out,” Thomas said. “Here...the stakes are high, the prize pot is huge and the level of competition is also really high.

“That’s not something that we’re really used to in our sport and I think it’s really good.”

In the men’s 100m, where Olympic 100m champion Noah Lyles was a notable absentee, two-time Olympic 200m silver medalist Kenny Bednarek took victory in a thrilling duel with Jamaica’s Oblique Seville.

US sprinter Bednarek took the tape in 10.07sec, with Seville second in 10.08sec. Britain’s Zharnel Hughes was third in 10.13 while the USA’s Fred Kerley, the 2022 world 100m champion, was seventh in 10.30sec.

In other action on Friday, newly crowned world indoor 400m champion Chris Bailey continued his impressive start to the season with victory in the 400m in a time of 44.34sec, pipping Olympic silver medalist Matt Hudson-Smith of Great Britain, who was second in 44.65sec, with veteran US one-lap specialist Vernon Norwood third.

The men’s 400m hurdles saw a win for Brazil’s Alison Dos Santos in a world-leading time of 47.61sec, with Jamaica’s Roshawn Clarke second in 48.20 and Caleb Dean of the US third in 48.58.

In the women’s 3,000m, Ethiopia’s Ejgayehu Taye produced a devastating late kick to win in 8min 28.42sec ahead of Kenya’s Agnes Jebet Ngetich, with another Ethiopian Tsige Gebreselama third in 8:38.15.

The women’s 800m saw a world-leading time from the USA’s Nikki Hiltz, the American record-holder in the mile who is better known as a 1,500m runner.

Hiltz won in 1min 58.23sec, with Diribe Welteji second in 1:58.29 and Australia’s Jessica Hull third in 1:58.58.

Kenya’s Mary Moraa, the reigning world champion, finished last in 2:00.97.

American runners meanwhile claimed a 1-2-3 finish in the men’s 5,000m, with Grant Fisher winning in 14min 39.14sec.


Match Play defending champion Nelly Korda ousted in group play

Updated 3 min 11 sec ago
Follow

Match Play defending champion Nelly Korda ousted in group play

  • In Group 7, Japan’s Mao Saigo upset South Korea’s Haeran Ryu by sinking a birdie on the par-4 playoff hole
  • In Group 3, Carlota Ciganda of Spain defeated New Zealand’s Lydia Ko 2 up to win the group at 2-1-0 and push Ko to a surprising last-place finish (1-2-0)

LAS VEGAS: Ariya Jutanugarn of Thailand defeated Nelly Korda 1 up to win Group 1 and eliminate the World No. 1 from the T-Mobile Match Play on Friday in North Las Vegas, Nevada

Jutanugarn went 3-0-0 in the group, but entering the day the group was up for grabs between her and Korda, who tallied 1 1/2 points through the first two days of competition.

“It’s pretty tough today because of the wind. And it’s match play. You kind of have to be really patient,” Jutanugarn said. “I have some (ups and downs). I’ve been missing some shots and hit some pretty good. Overall, it’s just like so much fun to have chance to play with Nelly. She’s one of the best players.”

Other than one brief hole on which Jutanugarn moved 2 up, the score of the match stayed within a hole throughout. Jutanugarn led for most of the front nine before Korda tied it with a birdie at the par-5 ninth hole at Shadow Creek Golf Course.

Korda moved 1 up when Jutanugarn bogeyed the par-3 13th, but Korda took a bogey on the par-4 No. 15 to let Jutanugarn win the hole and tie it back up. Jutanugarn’s birdie put at the par-5 16th gave her back the lead for good.

Korda was the defending champion of the event.

The 64-player field was divided into 16 four-player groups competing in three days of round-robin matches. A win earned one point, a tie earned a half-point and a loss was worth zero points. The winner of each group moves on to a 16-player, single-elimination bracket beginning Saturday.

The quarterfinals also will be played on Saturday, with the semifinals and final on Sunday.

Two groups needed playoffs to break ties for first place following the Friday round. In Group 7, Japan’s Mao Saigo upset South Korea’s Haeran Ryu by sinking a birdie on the par-4 playoff hole. Ryu was the highest seed in her group.

In Group 13, Lauren Coughlin beat Lucy Li when Li bogeyed the first hole.

“All three of my matches have been really close, kind of back and forth,” Coughlin said. “I don’t think I’ve ever been more than 1 up all week. I’ve been down 2 at times, but kind of fought back in every one. Took it to 18 every day.

“Yeah, I mean, I rolled — started rolling it really well (Thursday). Made a ton of putts today that kind of kept me in it.”

Eight other players besides Jutanugarn went 3-0-0 in their respective groups: Thailand’s Jeeno Thitikul (Group 2), Sei Young Kim of South Korea (Group 4), Brooke M. Henderson of Canada (Group 8), Sweden’s Maja Stark (Group 9), France’s Celine Boutier (Group 11) and A Lim Kim of South Korea (Group 12), Sweden’s Madelene Sagstrom (Group 14) and Narin An of South Korea (Group 16).

In Group 3, Carlota Ciganda of Spain defeated New Zealand’s Lydia Ko 2 up to win the group at 2-1-0 and push Ko to a surprising last-place finish (1-2-0). South Africa’s Ashleigh Buhai beat Alexa Pano 4 and 3 to capture first in Group 6 (2-0-1). Russia’s Nataliya Guseva beat Switzerland’s Albane Valenzuela 1 up to win Group 15 (2-0-1).

Also advancing were Australia’s Stephanie Kyriacou (Group 5) and Angel Yin (Group 10).


England, Germany and Spain on mark in women’s Nations League

Updated 05 April 2025
Follow

England, Germany and Spain on mark in women’s Nations League

PARIS: England and Germany cruised and World Cup champions Spain downed Portugal on matchday three in the women’s Nations League on Friday.
First-half headers from Lucy Bronze and Millie Bright set England on the road to beating Belgium in Bristol, with maiden Lionesses goals from Aggie Beever-Jones and Keira Walsh and substitute Jess Park also contributing to the lop-sided 5-0 win.
The two sides meet again next Tuesday in Leuven with England manager Sarina Wiegman firmly focused on her side’s European Championship title defense and an event further ahead.
“Now, of course, every game is competitive, but you have to win because we want to get in the best possible position for the World Cup draw too,” Wiegman said.
“I would never be complacent. We’ll bring the team on the pitch that we think at that moment is the best team to play against Belgium.”
World champions Spain downed Portugal 4-2 to go second by one point to England in group A3.
Germany were also in trigger happy mood, routing Scotland at Dundee’s Tannadice Park 4-0.
Scotland conceded their first goal with less than a minute on the clock after a terrific strike from Elisa Senss.
The hosts responded well and were in the match until Scotland’s Germany-born defender Sophie Howard’s own goal.
The top seeds and third-ranked side in the world completed Scotland’s miserable night with goals from Cora Zicai and Lea Schuller.
Scotland have plenty of food for thought before round two in Wolfsburg on Tuesday.
Germany are top of their group on goal difference from the Netherlands, 3-1 winners over Austria with Sherida Spitse becoming the joint most capped European player.
France, beaten finalists to Spain in last year’s Nations League, beat women’s Euro 2025 hosts Switzerland 2-0 in St. Gallen.
Sandy Baltimore opened the scoring with Selma Bacha’s powerful long strike lifting France five points clear at the top of their group from Norway, who they face in Oslo on Tuesday.
The four League A group winners qualify for the finals in the autumn.
The group standings also determine the teams contesting promotion and relegation matches to establish their starting league position in the European Qualifiers for the 2027 Women’s World Cup, running through 2026.


Ronaldo delivers Riyadh Derby glory for Al-Nassr

Updated 05 April 2025
Follow

Ronaldo delivers Riyadh Derby glory for Al-Nassr

  • Ace marksman scores twice in fierce battle
  • Yellows also put major dent in title chances of local rivals with victory

RIYADH: Cristiano Ronaldo scored twice to help Al-Nassr to a 3-1 win over Al-Hilal on Friday and a first Riyadh derby victory in the Saudi Pro League for over three years.

The Yellows also put a major dent in the title chances of their local rivals, who stay four points behind Al-Ittihad at the top of the table but have now played a game more.

The result also keeps Al-Nassr’s faint championship hopes alive as they are now seven points behind the leaders with eight games of the season remaining.

It was a fierce battle, as is always expected in what is one of Asia’s biggest matches, but it was a deserved win for Al-Nassr.

While Ronaldo’s exploits will take the headlines, the opening goal, which came deep into added time at the end of the first half, was a thing of beauty. Marcelo Brozovic rolled a corner to the edge of the area where the home defense had switched off. There was still a lot of work to do for Ali Al-Hassan but he took one touch and then curled a perfect shot into the top corner to give the visitors the lead in spectacular fashion.

Two minutes after the restart, Ronaldo extended Al-Nassr’s lead with his 20th league goal of the season. Sadio Mane broke free down the left and pulled the ball back for the former Manchester United star inside the area who hooked his shot into the net.

The Al-Nassr fans, who had endured six winless league games in this fixture, went wild, but just after the hour Al-Hilal clawed themselves back into it. Sergej Milinkovic-Savic nodded a corner toward the back post and there was Ali Al-Bulaihi to head home from close range.

The Blues continued to push forward in search of an equalizer, but three minutes from the end Ronaldo secured the win for his side. A handball was given in the box and the 40-year-old scored from the spot, straight down the middle of the goal.

Attention now turns to the Jeddah derby on Saturday and all fans will be wondering whether Al-Ittihad can beat Al-Ahli to move seven points clear at the top.


Emery glad to see Rashford make landmark appearance

Updated 04 April 2025
Follow

Emery glad to see Rashford make landmark appearance

  • “Happy for him,” Emery said
  • “Happy because he is achieving individual objectives as well, with these appearances he is doing, playing matches here with us”

LONDON: Aston Villa manager Unai Emery said he was “happy” for Marcus Rashford as the England forward prepares to make his 500th career appearance.
Rashford has undergone something of an on-field revival since joining the Birmingham club on loan from Manchester United, with the England forward scoring three goals in his last two Villa outings.
He is now set to make his 12th appearance for Emery’s side at home to Nottingham Forest on Saturday, having made 426 appearances for United in total and won 62 caps for England.
“Happy for him,” Emery said. “Happy because he is achieving individual objectives as well, with these appearances he is doing, playing matches here with us.
“And try to enjoy with him, not more, try to feel comfortable himself every day here, with everything we are doing and with his team-mates.
“Training, playing and of course with the challenges we have together, to try to achieve, and to play in his best form, qualities, skills and confidence.”
Villa are chasing a seventh straight win in all competitions against high-flying Midlands rivals Forest as they aim to continue an impressive season.
They reached the FA Cup semifinals with victory at Preston on Sunday, and Wednesday’s 3-0 win at Brighton lifted them to within four points of the top four with eight games to play.
Spanish manager Emery could have a full-strength squad to face Forest, with Ross Barkley recovering from a long-term knee injury and Leon Bailey set for a late fitness test.
Emery said having returning players available again would be vital to how Villa finished the season, adding: “We don’t have now time to explain a lot about how we are, and how we are playing a lot of matches now being very, very important in Premier League, in Champions League and in FA Cup.
“Of course, the players now, we are recovering players, we are feeling stronger.
“We were in some moments in the season with some players injured, with some players not feeling physically good.
“We were struggling sometimes and not achieving the objective we were facing in that moment.
“Of course now, with the players we have more or less available for (Saturday’s) match, or the match we play before, I’m happy because my plan is to try to extend 90 minutes competing in the demands we have, and the demands (of) the opponent facing us.”