Resurgent Pogacar set for Tour de France duel with road-rusty Vingegaard

Team UAE's Slovenian rider Tadej Pogacar gestures a victory sign during the 21st and last stage of the 107th Giro d'Italia cycling race, 125km from Rome to Rome, on May 26, 2024. (File/AFP)
Short Url
Updated 27 June 2024
Follow

Resurgent Pogacar set for Tour de France duel with road-rusty Vingegaard

  • Visma’s Vingegaard, the two-time defending champion from Denmark, hasn’t raced since suffering multiple fractures in a fall in March
  • With another wink at history Pogacar is aiming to become the first rider in 26 years to win the Giro and Tour de France in the same season

PARIS: The Tour de France sets off from the Italian city of Florence on Saturday with Tadej Pogacar well prepped for a battle royale with defending champion Jonas Vingegaard on a route designed to take the world’s greatest bike race down to the wire.

Team UAE’s rider Pogacar goes into the 21-day race in red-hot form after winning the Giro d’Italia in May.

Visma’s Vingegaard, the two-time defending champion from Denmark, hasn’t raced since suffering multiple fractures in a fall in March.

Vingegaard’s fall offers Slovenia’s Pogacar a chance at revenge for the brutal manner in which the Dane crushed him on two Alpine stages late in the 2023 edition.

“I’ve tested my legs a little and to be honest, I’ve never felt so good on a bike,” said Pogacar, a back-to-back winner in 2020 and 2021.

“Everyone thinks that I’m going to win the Tour every year, but I didn’t win the last two times.”

While Pogacar dislikes heat and high altitude, Vingegaard is the man on the back foot this year due to the punctured lung and broken ribs he sustained in that March accident.

“Jonas was really badly injured, but I think he’ll be okay. If he is feeling mentally strong and has made a good recovery he will be at his top level,” Pogacar said.

Behind these chalk-and-cheese rivals is a bevvy of pretenders awaiting the slightest slip on a treacherous route in a year where bike accidents have hogged the headlines.

Veteran Primoz Roglic has won the Vuelta a Espana and the Giro in his career and will be riding the Tour in the colors of new sponsor Red Bull, a new contract worth €6 million a year in his back pocket.

Also in the mix is the impossible-to-ignore talent of Belgian Remco Evenepoel (Quick Step), who will target the two time-trials and the gravel roads on what should be an enthralling Tour debut for the 24-year-old targeting the best young rider jersey.

“We saw that Remco and Primoz were in good shape in the Dauphine and I reckon they’ll be at their best. But you never know. Last year I thought I was 100 percent,” Pogacar said.

The route crosses the Alps twice with seven mountain slogs, features a first-ever race on white gravel and ends with an eye-catching individual time trial from Monaco to Nice along the French Riviera.

Broadcast live in more than 100 countries, the first four days are drenched with Italian color, starting with the Renaissance beauty of Florence before the race crosses the Rubicon river, takes in the seaside sights at Rimini, passes along the Via Romagna road into Bologna and eventually moves out of Fiat capital Turin toward France for the remaining 17 stages.

Instead of the traditional parade round Paris on the final day for the 21st stage, a timetable clash with the 2024 Olympic Games in the French capital sent the organizers looking elsewhere.

And what a solution they found. In place of the sprint up and down the Champs-Elysees, the stage is now an individual 34.5km time-trial along the coastline corniches between Monaco and Nice.

The last stage could well provide a last twist in fate for the riders, evoking memories of the 1989 Tour, when American Greg LeMond started a rare final-day time trial 50 seconds behind French leader Laurent Fignon and ended up winning the race by eight seconds.

With another wink at history Pogacar is aiming to become the first rider in 26 years to win the Giro and Tour de France in the same season.

He romped almost unopposed to the Giro title in May and should he pull off the ambitious feat he will join a list of legends in Fausto Coppi, Jacques Anquetil, Eddy Merckx, Bernard Hinault, Stephen Roche, Miguel Indurain and Marco Pantani, the last man to achieve the double in 1998.

The seven mountain stages, which include four high-altitude finales, with the highest at 2,802m on stage 19, will be to the liking of Vingegaard.


Pakistan assumes Asian Cricket Council presidency, vows to accelerate sport’s global influence

Updated 03 April 2025
Follow

Pakistan assumes Asian Cricket Council presidency, vows to accelerate sport’s global influence

  • Defending champions India are scheduled to host Asia Cup later this year in T20 format
  • ACC, governing body for cricket in Asia, includes Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) Chief Mohsin Naqvi on Thursday assumed the presidency of the Asian Cricket Council (ACC), the board confirmed, vowing to enhance the sport’s global influence. 

The ACC is the governing body for cricket in Asia, established in 1983, to promote and develop the sport across the continent. It organizes major tournaments like the Asia Cup and works to improve cricket standards, provide financial support and strengthen ties between member countries including India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh.

Sri Lanka held ACC’s presidency before Pakistan officially took over the post from it on Apr. 3, according to the PCB.

“In accordance with the decision of the Asian Cricket Council, Pakistan has officially taken over the presidency from Sri Lanka Cricket,” the PCB said in a statement. 

“Effective immediately, Pakistan will lead the council in its mission to promote and expand cricket across the Asian continent.”

It added that the ACC was “poised to strengthen and expand” cricket’s presence across Asia by fostering growth and unity within the sport.

Meanwhile, in a press release, the ACC quoted Naqvi as saying that he was honored to assume the regional cricketing body’s presidency.

“Asia remains the heartbeat of world cricket and I am committed to working with all member boards to accelerate the game’s growth and global influence,” he said.

“Together, we will unlock new opportunities, foster greater collaboration and take Asian cricket to unprecedented heights.”

The PCB chief also extended his sincere wishes to outgoing ACC president Shammi Silva from Sri Lanka for his leadership and contributions during his tenure. 

India will host the next edition of the Men’s Asia Cup cricket tournament in the T20 format in 2025 as a precursor to the T20 World Cup scheduled in the country in 2026. 

The 2023 edition, hosted by the PCB, was held in a “hybrid model” as India refused to travel to Pakistan and played their matches in Sri Lanka.

India are the defending Asia Cup champions, and have won three of the last four editions of the tournament. They beat Sri Lanka by 10 wickets in the final of last year’s 50-overs edition in Colombo.


UK set to host 2035 Women’s World Cup as sole bidder

Updated 03 April 2025
Follow

UK set to host 2035 Women’s World Cup as sole bidder

  • “We are honored to be the sole bidder for the FIFA women’s World Cup 2035,” FA CEO Mark Bullingham said
  • “Hosting the first FIFA World Cup since 1966 with our home nations partners will be very special“

LONDON: The United Kingdom appears set to host the 2035 Women’s World Cup after FIFA President Gianni Infantino on Thursday described its interest as the “one valid bid” for the tournament.
England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales announced last month that they would submit a joint bid to host the finals.
England’s men won the World Cup for the first and so far only time when the country hosted the finals in 1966. It has never staged the women’s tournament.
“We are honored to be the sole bidder for the FIFA women’s World Cup 2035,” FA CEO Mark Bullingham said in a statement.
“Hosting the first FIFA World Cup since 1966 with our home nations partners will be very special. The hard work starts now, to put together the best possible bid by the end of the year.”
The United States, with the possibility of other countries in the CONCACAF region joining the US, is also poised to be named host of the 2031 Women’s World Cup as the only bid.
Infantino said the tournament will increase from 32 teams to 48 in time for the 2031 World Cup to match the men’s event.
“We received one bid for 2031 and one bid — one valid bid I should add — for 2035,” he added at the UEFA Congress in Belgrade. “The 2035 bid is from Europe, from the home nations.”
The US hosted the 1999 and 2003 Women’s World Cup.
Brazil will host the 2027 event featuring 32 teams.

FORMAL BIDS
Member associations must formally submit bids to FIFA in the final quarter of this year. The world governing body currently plans to confirm the Women’s World Cup hosts for 2031 and 2035 at the 76th FIFA Congress in the second quarter of next year.
“So, the path is there for the Women’s World Cup to be taking place in ‘31 and ‘35 in some great countries, in some great nations, to boost even more the women’s football movement,” Infantino said.
FIFA said last month that members associated with the Confederation of African Football and CONCACAF were eligible to bid for the 2031 World Cup, while CAF and UEFA member associations could bid for the 2035 tournament.
Reports had suggested Spain, Portugal and Morocco, who are jointly hosting the 2030 men’s World Cup, planned to launch a rival bid for 2035 before Infantino’s comment on Thursday that the UK had the only valid bid.
England’s women’s manager Sarina Wiegman said hosting the tournament will be a big boost to the women’s game.
“It’s the biggest female event we have in the world, that’s so exciting,” she told a press conference on Thursday.
“We know with the experience of the Euros (the women’s European Championships in 2022, which England won) how big the game is already here, and what that momentum did here in the country, but also worldwide.
“So another tournament, even on an even bigger stage, would be incredible, and that will give another boost to the game.”
Expanding to 48 teams will help, the Dutchwoman added on the eve of England’s Nations League game against Belgium.
“It will grow the game again in different countries, because different countries have opportunities to come, because countries are at different stages of their development,” she said. “So it will help empower women in football, women in sport and women in society.”


Pakistan fined again for slow ODI over-rate in New Zealand

Updated 03 April 2025
Follow

Pakistan fined again for slow ODI over-rate in New Zealand

  • Pakistan players fined 5 percent of match fees for being one over short of target on Wednesday
  • Visiting team was two overs short, fined 10 percent after losing first ODI by 73 runs on Saturday

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates: Pakistan has been penalized for a slow over-rate against New Zealand in their second one-day international in Hamilton this week.

Match referee Jeff Crowe fined the Pakistan players 5 percent of their match fees after they were one over short of the target on Wednesday after the time allowances were taken into consideration. New Zealand won by 84 runs.

Pakistan captain Mohammad Rizwan “pleaded guilty to the offense and accepted the sanction, eliminating the need for a formal hearing,” the International Cricket Council said on Thursday.
It was the second consecutive match after which Pakistan was fined for a slow over-rate. 

The visiting team was two overs short of the target and fined 10 percent after losing the first ODI by 73 runs at Napier last Saturday.

The third and last ODI is at Mount Maunganui on Saturday.
 


Sports Council allows Olmo and Victor to play for Barca until end of season

Updated 03 April 2025
Follow

Sports Council allows Olmo and Victor to play for Barca until end of season

  • LaLiga had lowered Barcelona’s wage cap on Wednesday
  • The CSD said the two players’ registrations remain valid as the RFEF acknowledged that “there is no federation resolution that agreed to the cancelation of the licenses“

BARCELONA: Spain’s National Sports Council (CSD) on Thursday upheld an appeal filed by Barcelona players Dani Olmo and Pau Victor which will allow them to play for the club until the end of the season.
LaLiga had lowered Barcelona’s wage cap on Wednesday after it said the club’s recently revised accounts do not match the end-of-year figures from its previous auditor.
The previous accounts included proceeds from the sale of VIP seats in the renovated Camp Nou which allowed Barca to comply with LaLiga’s Financial Fair Play rules and extend the registration of Olmo and Victor.
LaLiga said Barca did not have the capacity to register the two players based on their accounts, but the CSD annulled the agreement between the Spanish top flight and the country’s football federation (RFEF).
The CSD said the two players’ registrations remain valid as the RFEF acknowledged that “there is no federation resolution that agreed to the cancelation of the licenses” and their decision not to grant a license is “null and void.”
“In any case, the professional careers of Dani Olmo and Pau Victor have been protected since January 8 by the urgent precautionary measure granted by the CSD, with the sole aim of avoiding irreparable harm until this procedure is resolved,” it said.
“In short, for reasons of incompetence, for not having followed the appropriate procedures established in the regulations, and for not being the body authorized to make decisions, the agreement of the Monitoring Committee of the RFEF-LaLiga Coordination Agreement must be considered null and void, and all effects derived from it invalidated.”
In January, the CSD had allowed Barcelona to provisionally register the pair, four days after Spanish football authorities rejected their requests.


Liverpool’s Slot happy to let Premier League title bid take its course

Updated 03 April 2025
Follow

Liverpool’s Slot happy to let Premier League title bid take its course

  • “We are not working on theories about how many points this is, this, this,” said Slot
  • “We are taking the challenge of Fulham on for Sunday, where we have to be at our best again, like yesterday, to get a result”

LONDON: Arne Slot says Liverpool are unconcerned by how soon they can win the Premier League title after going 12 points clear again with victory in Wednesday’s Merseyside derby.
A day after second-placed Arsenal cut the gap to nine points by beating Fulham 2-1 at home, Liverpool responded by defeating Everton 1-0 at Anfield.
Liverpool next face Fulham at Craven Cottage on Sunday.
Slot, in his first season as Liverpool manager since succeeding Jurgen Klopp, was asked Thursday how close he felt to clinching the title.
“We are not working on theories about how many points this is, this, this,” said Slot.
“We are taking the challenge of Fulham on for Sunday, where we have to be at our best again, like yesterday, to get a result.
“We’ve played 30 games now. Maybe there were three or four where the score was so clear that in the last 20 minutes it wasn’t a problem anymore. Almost all of our other games have been really tight.
“That probably tells you as well how big of an accomplishment it is that we are 12 points clear at the moment and doing so well.”
Arsenal play Everton at Goodison Park in a Saturday lunchtime kick-off.
“We have more than enough rest for the Sunday game, so it’s not a problem for us,” added Slot.
“But I do feel for Everton, that they play on a Wednesday night and have to have the early kick-off on Saturday.
“The good thing is they play at home and I know how much their fans can influence the game.”
Liverpool goalkeeper Alisson Becker, who missed the Everton game due to concussion, and right-back Conor Bradley are being assessed ahead of Sunday’s fixture. Trent Alexander-Arnold and Joe Gomez remain sidelined.
“With Ali (Alisson), it’s simple,” said Slot. “It’s a concussion and you have to tick all the boxes. The moment he does, he will be in goal. The moment he doesn’t, we are following the protocol.”