Torpedo bat designer says it’s more about the players than the bat model

New York Yankees' JC Escarra bats during the seventh inning of a baseball game against the Milwaukee Brewers, Saturday, March 29, 2025, in New York. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 01 April 2025
Follow

Torpedo bat designer says it’s more about the players than the bat model

  • The torpedo model — a striking design in which wood is moved lower down the barrel after the label and shapes the end a little like a bowling pin — became the talk of major league baseball over the weekend

MIAMI: For the MIT-educated physicist behind the torpedo bat, it’s more about the talent of the players than their lumber at the plate.
The torpedo model — a striking design in which wood is moved lower down the barrel after the label and shapes the end a little like a bowling pin — became the talk of major league baseball over the weekend.
The New York Yankees hit a team-record nine homers that traveled a combined 3,695 feet on Saturday. Paul Goldschmidt, Cody Bellinger, Austin Wells, Anthony Volpe and Jazz Chisholm Jr. all went deep using a torpedo bat. New York’s 15 homers through the first three games matched the 2006 Detroit Tigers for the most in major league history.
“At the end of the day it’s about the batter not the bat,” said Aaron Leanhardt, a former physics professor at the University of Michigan who is being credited with the design. “It’s about the hitter and their hitting coaches. I’m happy to always help those guys get a little bit better but ultimately it’s up to them to put good swings and grind it out every day. So, credit to those guys.”
Leanhardt, 48, a field coordinator for the Miami Marlins, said the origin of the bat dates to 2023, when he worked for the Yankees. He said several versions were tested that didn’t create the desired effect.
Leanhardt was approached by major league and minor league players early in the design stage, seeking information on the bats.
“I’ll let the players always talk about their own experiences. I’m not going to drag anyone into this,” Leanhardt said Monday. “But there were definitely guys on the major league side and on the minor league side in 2023 that were definitely asking me questions and offering design advice and demoing them.”
Leanhardt said the past couple of days had been “surreal.” Some of Miami’s players joked around with him as he answered questions from the media before their game against the New York Mets.
“The industry as a whole was probably a little bit more aware of this maybe than you guys were,” Leanhardt said. “Guys have been asking me about it. Guys have been wanting to swing them.”
Bat manufacturer Victus Sports dropped off a batch of torpedo bats for the Phillies just before first pitch of their home opener on Monday. Alec Bohm grabbed one, took about five swings and decided to use one.
His logic seemed sound: Look how it might have aided the Yankees.
“You see a team hit 20 homers and you’re gonna try it,” Bohm said. “It didn’t work.”
Bohm managed just one single with his new lumber. He noted it “felt just like a normal bat” and wasn’t sure if he would swing with a torpedo again any time soon.The torpedo model — a striking design in which wood is moved lower down the barrel after the label and shapes the end a little like a bowling pin — became the talk of major league baseball over the weekend.
“It’s a bat. It’s different,” he said. “It’ll probably run its course.”
Milwaukee Brewers outfielder Christian Yelich said he didn’t feel like the bats had any effect on their opening series against the Yankees.
“I think they have a lot of really good players. That’s probably the biggest factor in how that went,” he said.
Mets manager Carlos Mendoza said shortstop Francisco Lindor used a similar bat in their series at Houston. He got the models late in spring training.
“Nothing new for us,” Mendoza said. “This is something that every team, every player continues to look for an edge and find ways to improve within the margins. And this is a perfect example.”


England, Germany and Spain on mark in women’s Nations League

Updated 05 April 2025
Follow

England, Germany and Spain on mark in women’s Nations League

PARIS: England and Germany cruised and World Cup champions Spain downed Portugal on matchday three in the women’s Nations League on Friday.
First-half headers from Lucy Bronze and Millie Bright set England on the road to beating Belgium in Bristol, with maiden Lionesses goals from Aggie Beever-Jones and Keira Walsh and substitute Jess Park also contributing to the lop-sided 5-0 win.
The two sides meet again next Tuesday in Leuven with England manager Sarina Wiegman firmly focused on her side’s European Championship title defense and an event further ahead.
“Now, of course, every game is competitive, but you have to win because we want to get in the best possible position for the World Cup draw too,” Wiegman said.
“I would never be complacent. We’ll bring the team on the pitch that we think at that moment is the best team to play against Belgium.”
World champions Spain downed Portugal 4-2 to go second by one point to England in group A3.
Germany were also in trigger happy mood, routing Scotland at Dundee’s Tannadice Park 4-0.
Scotland conceded their first goal with less than a minute on the clock after a terrific strike from Elisa Senss.
The hosts responded well and were in the match until Scotland’s Germany-born defender Sophie Howard’s own goal.
The top seeds and third-ranked side in the world completed Scotland’s miserable night with goals from Cora Zicai and Lea Schuller.
Scotland have plenty of food for thought before round two in Wolfsburg on Tuesday.
Germany are top of their group on goal difference from the Netherlands, 3-1 winners over Austria with Sherida Spitse becoming the joint most capped European player.
France, beaten finalists to Spain in last year’s Nations League, beat women’s Euro 2025 hosts Switzerland 2-0 in St. Gallen.
Sandy Baltimore opened the scoring with Selma Bacha’s powerful long strike lifting France five points clear at the top of their group from Norway, who they face in Oslo on Tuesday.
The four League A group winners qualify for the finals in the autumn.
The group standings also determine the teams contesting promotion and relegation matches to establish their starting league position in the European Qualifiers for the 2027 Women’s World Cup, running through 2026.


Ronaldo delivers Riyadh Derby glory for Al-Nassr

Updated 05 April 2025
Follow

Ronaldo delivers Riyadh Derby glory for Al-Nassr

  • Ace marksman scores twice in fierce battle
  • Yellows also put major dent in title chances of local rivals with victory

RIYADH: Cristiano Ronaldo scored twice to help Al-Nassr to a 3-1 win over Al-Hilal on Friday and a first Riyadh derby victory in the Saudi Pro League for over three years.

The Yellows also put a major dent in the title chances of their local rivals, who stay four points behind Al-Ittihad at the top of the table but have now played a game more.

The result also keeps Al-Nassr’s faint championship hopes alive as they are now seven points behind the leaders with eight games of the season remaining.

It was a fierce battle, as is always expected in what is one of Asia’s biggest matches, but it was a deserved win for Al-Nassr.

While Ronaldo’s exploits will take the headlines, the opening goal, which came deep into added time at the end of the first half, was a thing of beauty. Marcelo Brozovic rolled a corner to the edge of the area where the home defense had switched off. There was still a lot of work to do for Ali Al-Hassan but he took one touch and then curled a perfect shot into the top corner to give the visitors the lead in spectacular fashion.

Two minutes after the restart, Ronaldo extended Al-Nassr’s lead with his 20th league goal of the season. Sadio Mane broke free down the left and pulled the ball back for the former Manchester United star inside the area who hooked his shot into the net.

The Al-Nassr fans, who had endured six winless league games in this fixture, went wild, but just after the hour Al-Hilal clawed themselves back into it. Sergej Milinkovic-Savic nodded a corner toward the back post and there was Ali Al-Bulaihi to head home from close range.

The Blues continued to push forward in search of an equalizer, but three minutes from the end Ronaldo secured the win for his side. A handball was given in the box and the 40-year-old scored from the spot, straight down the middle of the goal.

Attention now turns to the Jeddah derby on Saturday and all fans will be wondering whether Al-Ittihad can beat Al-Ahli to move seven points clear at the top.


Emery glad to see Rashford make landmark appearance

Updated 04 April 2025
Follow

Emery glad to see Rashford make landmark appearance

  • “Happy for him,” Emery said
  • “Happy because he is achieving individual objectives as well, with these appearances he is doing, playing matches here with us”

LONDON: Aston Villa manager Unai Emery said he was “happy” for Marcus Rashford as the England forward prepares to make his 500th career appearance.
Rashford has undergone something of an on-field revival since joining the Birmingham club on loan from Manchester United, with the England forward scoring three goals in his last two Villa outings.
He is now set to make his 12th appearance for Emery’s side at home to Nottingham Forest on Saturday, having made 426 appearances for United in total and won 62 caps for England.
“Happy for him,” Emery said. “Happy because he is achieving individual objectives as well, with these appearances he is doing, playing matches here with us.
“And try to enjoy with him, not more, try to feel comfortable himself every day here, with everything we are doing and with his team-mates.
“Training, playing and of course with the challenges we have together, to try to achieve, and to play in his best form, qualities, skills and confidence.”
Villa are chasing a seventh straight win in all competitions against high-flying Midlands rivals Forest as they aim to continue an impressive season.
They reached the FA Cup semifinals with victory at Preston on Sunday, and Wednesday’s 3-0 win at Brighton lifted them to within four points of the top four with eight games to play.
Spanish manager Emery could have a full-strength squad to face Forest, with Ross Barkley recovering from a long-term knee injury and Leon Bailey set for a late fitness test.
Emery said having returning players available again would be vital to how Villa finished the season, adding: “We don’t have now time to explain a lot about how we are, and how we are playing a lot of matches now being very, very important in Premier League, in Champions League and in FA Cup.
“Of course, the players now, we are recovering players, we are feeling stronger.
“We were in some moments in the season with some players injured, with some players not feeling physically good.
“We were struggling sometimes and not achieving the objective we were facing in that moment.
“Of course now, with the players we have more or less available for (Saturday’s) match, or the match we play before, I’m happy because my plan is to try to extend 90 minutes competing in the demands we have, and the demands (of) the opponent facing us.”


Postecoglou plays dangerous game with gestures to Tottenham’s disgruntled fans

Updated 04 April 2025
Follow

Postecoglou plays dangerous game with gestures to Tottenham’s disgruntled fans

  • Postecoglou was asked about his actions after Sarr’s “goal” and, in his unique style, said “I wanted them to be happy, mate”
  • “We’d just scored a cracking goal,” he said. “I wanted them to cheer because they hadn’t had a lot to cheer about”

LONDON: By cupping his ear and waving sarcastically, Tottenham manager Ange Postecoglou went head-first into a confrontation with his critics.
Unfortunately, those critics were the club’s hard-core fans.
Postecoglou, whose future at Tottenham has been looking increasingly uncertain in a tough season for the underperforming London team, might have gone a step too far Thursday when he appeared to goad his own supporters during the 1-0 loss at Chelsea — even though he later denied having that intention.
Tottenham’s away contingent had serenaded Postecoglou with a chant of “You don’t know what you’re doing” after the combative Australian coach made two substitutions in the 64th minute at Stamford Bridge, including bringing on Pape Sarr to replace fellow midfielder Lucas Bergvall.
Within five minutes, Sarr scored a goal from long range and Postecoglou reacted by facing the end containing Tottenham’s fans, cupping his hand to his ear and then waving.
Unfortunately for Tottenham and Postecoglou, the goal was disallowed and Chelsea went on to secure a 1-0 win that consigned Spurs to a 16th loss in 30 Premier League games this season.
Postecoglou was asked about his actions after Sarr’s “goal” and, in his unique style, said “I wanted them to be happy, mate.”
“We’d just scored a cracking goal,” he said. “I wanted them to cheer because they hadn’t had a lot to cheer about.”
Tottenham fans sure will attest to that this season.
And his explanation might not wash with many fans who appear to have turned against their manager, maybe because of the team’s results, maybe because of his style of play, and maybe because of increasingly unhappy demeanor.
It was only a couple of months ago, after a 2-1 loss to relegation-threatened Leicester, that he attempted to confront a fan who had directed criticism the Tottenham manager’s way as he walked down the tunnel.
That is one thing, however. Appearing to taunt supporters — though he denied doing so again in a news conference on Friday, maintaining his actions did been misinterpreted — is another.
“I’d heard the supporters weren’t happy with my decision, which is fine,” he said, “and my response was to celebrate and get them to make some noise and get them behind the team.”
Postecoglou, who is coming to the end of his second season at Tottenham after joining from Celtic, said he wasn’t affected by fan criticism.
“I have been fighting my whole career,” he continued, “and I’ll continue to fight until I’m told to stop by someone.”
Given the growing disconnect between Postecoglou and the fans, winning the Europa League — and thereby ending Tottenham’s 17-year wait for a major trophy and securing a place in next season’s Champions League — might be the only thing that keeps him in his job.
Tottenham play Eintracht Frankfurt in the Europa League quarterfinals, with the first leg on Thursday.
Lose and Tottenham just have Premier League games left to play. The team are in 14th place in the 20-team league, making it a woeful campaign for a team among the so-called “Big Six” in England and which were one of the clubs pushing to join a breakaway Super League four years ago.
Postecoglou, who has previously blamed injuries for his team’s poor results this season, said Friday he understood the criticism heading his way and didn’t want to “say something that somehow will change the mood of the fans.”
“I still believe we’ve got a massive opportunity for ourselves this year,” he said, “and I’m not going to let that slip away — whether that’s from external or internal pressure.”


Ariya Jutanugarn maintains group lead over Nelly Korda at T-Mobile Match Play

Updated 04 April 2025
Follow

Ariya Jutanugarn maintains group lead over Nelly Korda at T-Mobile Match Play

  • Jutanugarn, of Thailand, won 2 and 1 against Altomare to continue to lead Group 1, though she will face Korda in the final leg of the round robin Friday
  • Angel Yin (1-0-1) leads Group 10, and Russia’s Nataliya Guseva (1-0-1) is on top in Group 15

LAS VEGAS: World No. 1 Nelly Korda avoided a second straight collapse, but Ariya Jutanugarn maintained her advantage in Group 1 play Thursday at the T-Mobile Match Play in North Las Vegas, Nevada

Korda built a lead and held on to finish 1 up on Jennifer Kupcho, who fell to 0-2 in the event. That marked an improvement from Wednesday for Korda, when the defending champion settled for halving her match after losing a late lead to Brittany Altomare.

“Golf doesn’t necessarily bring out (head-to-head competitiveness) unless you’re in a playoff or whatnot,” Korda said. “(It) just makes you a little bit more aggressive of a player.”

Jutanugarn, of Thailand, won 2 and 1 against Altomare to continue to lead Group 1, though she will face Korda in the final leg of the round robin Friday. A win there would give either player the group.

The 64-player field is divided into 16 four-player groups competing in three days of round-robin matches. A win earns one point, a tie earns a half-point and a loss is zero points. The winner of each group moves on to a 16-player, single-elimination bracket beginning Saturday. In the event of a tie for first place in a group, a playoff will determine which player advances. The quarterfinals will be played on Saturday, with the semifinals and final on Sunday.

Overall, 12 golfers are 2-0 through two days of play at Shadow Creek Golf Course, putting each in a strong position to win her group and advance to the 16-person field Saturday.

Thailand’s Jeeno Thitikul defeated Mexico’s Gaby Lopes 2 and 1 to get to 2-0 in Group 2. South Korea’s Sei Young Kim upended Japan’s Yuna Nishimura 4 and 2 to advance to 2-0 in Group 4.

Group 5 features Australia’s Stephanie Kyriacou leading the way at 2-0 after her 4-and-2 victory over Japan’s Ayaka Furue.

The only group with a pair of 2-0 golfers is Group 9, as South Korea’s Hyo Joo Kim and Sweden’s Maja Stark are still perfect and face off Friday.

Other 2-0 golfers after two days include Japan’s Mao Saigo in Group 7 (the only debut golfer at 2-0), Canada’s Brooke M. Henderson in Group 8 (having played only playing 27 holes — the fewest in the field), France’s Celine Boutier in Group 11, South Korea’s A Lim Kim in Group 12, Sweden’s Madelene Sagstrom in Group 14 and South Korea’s Narin An in Group 16.

Group 3 and 13 each have a four-way tie for first place at 1-1-0, while England’s Charley Hull and South Africa’s Ashleigh Buhai co-lead in Group 6 at 1-0-1.

“I love this format and it’s been a lot of fun,” New Zealand’s Lydia Ko said after winning her Thursday match 6 and 5 over Australia’s Gabriela Ruffels to get into that four-way tie in Group 3. “Yesterday I came off the day not feeling like defeated. I still had a great time.”

Angel Yin (1-0-1) leads Group 10, and Russia’s Nataliya Guseva (1-0-1) is on top in Group 15.