Hezbollah official among four dead in Israeli strike on Beirut

Short Url
Updated 01 April 2025
Follow

Hezbollah official among four dead in Israeli strike on Beirut

  • Attack also killed Hassan Bdeir’s son, Ali Hassan Bdeir, and two others, one of them a woman
  • Hassan Bdeir, known as ‘Hajj Rabih,’ was ‘a key figure in the party’s structure related to the Palestinian cause and its relations with various factions’

BEIRUT: Hassan Bdeir, a key Hezbollah official from Nmairiyeh in southern Lebanon, was killed in an Israeli airstrike carried out without warning on Beirut’s southern suburbs at 3:30 a.m. on Tuesday.

The attack, which struck an upper floor of a nine-story building at the intersection of the Sfeir and Mouawad neighborhoods, also killed the target’s son, Ali Hassan Bdeir, and two others, one of them a woman.

Seven others were wounded, according to the Ministry of Health. The attack caused significant damage to surrounding buildings and dozens of parked cars were damaged by falling debris.

This is the second Israeli attack on Beirut’s southern suburbs in less than a week since the ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hezbollah took effect on Nov. 27, 2024.

Media outlets close to Hezbollah reported that the target was the “deputy head of the Palestinian affairs file within the party.”

According to sources, Hassan Bdeir, known as “Hajj Rabih,” was “a key figure in the party’s structure related to the Palestinian cause and its relations with various factions.”

Al Arabiya reported that Bdeir “had previously coordinated with former Hamas deputy leader Saleh Al-Arouri, who was assassinated by Israel in Beirut’s southern suburbs.”

An Israeli statement claimed that “under the direction of Shin Bet, the Israeli air force carried out a strike in Beirut’s southern suburb, targeting a Hezbollah operative who had recently directed Hamas operatives and assisted them in planning a major and imminent attack against Israeli civilians.”

Israeli army spokesperson Avichay Adraee alleged that “Bdeir was a member of Hezbollah’s Unit 3900 and the Quds Force and was planning an imminent attack on Israeli civilians. He was targeted immediately to eliminate this threat.”

No details of the alleged planned attack were provided.

Israel’s Channel 14 reported that “Israeli security services had received information that Bdeir was planning an operation against an Israeli aircraft in Cyprus.”

Residents of the affected street were in shock because the airstrike was the first launched without without prior warning.

During the recent war, Adraee had typically announced target locations with an evacuation warning at least half an hour in advance.

Haitham, a resident of a nearby building, said: “People were asleep when the explosion shook the area. We did not expect an airstrike on the second day of Eid Al-Fitr. Screams erupted among the people and children. We did not know what to do: flee or stay where we were? What is happening? How can we continue living in this area now that it has become a target again?”

A resident in his fifties, who preferred anonymity, expressed his outrage. “People’s lives and livelihoods have become worthless in the absence of any local or international protection against the enemy that exploits everything.” he said.

According to a security source, the strike with two guided missiles “targeted the top floor of the building where Hassan Bdeir and his family live …This led to the complete destruction of two apartments and damage to two additional floors.”

Reuters reported a US State Department spokesperson, who said: “Israel was defending itself from rocket attacks that came from Lebanon.”

The spokesperson said that “hostilities have resumed because terrorists launched rockets into Israel from Lebanon,” and that “Washington supports Israel’s response.”

Lebanese officials swiftly condemned the attack.

President Joseph Aoun said: “It is a serious warning of intentions lurking against Lebanon, especially given its timing, which came after the signing of an agreement in Jeddah to control the Lebanese-Syrian border, under the ... sponsorship of Saudi Arabia. It also came following our visit to Paris and the complete convergence of views we witnessed with President (Emmanuel) Macron.”

Aoun added: “Israel’s persistence in its aggression requires us to make more effort to address Lebanon’s friends in the world, and to rally them in support of our right to full sovereignty over our land and to prevent any violation from the outside or inside infiltrators, who provide an additional pretext for aggression. It also calls for greater internal unity.”

Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri said the airstrike was “a blatant act of aggression against Lebanon and an Israeli attempt to sabotage the ceasefire agreement and derail its implementation — an agreement to which Lebanon has remained firmly committed.”

He urged the countries sponsoring the ceasefire agreement to pressure Israel into “halting its aggression against Lebanon and ending its violations of Lebanese sovereignty, and to withdraw from its occupied territories.”

Prime Minister Nawaf Salam described the strike as “a blatant violation of Resolution 1701, which affirms Lebanon’s sovereignty and territorial integrity, and a direct breach of the arrangements for the cessation of hostilities.”

After visiting the site of the attack, Hezbollah MP Ibrahim Al-Moussawi held “the international community, the US, and the Western nations” responsible for the strike.

“Nothing justifies the killing of civilians. Even if Israel claims a Hezbollah member was present in a civilian residential area, such an attack is legally indefensible,” he added.

Al-Moussawi urged the Lebanese state to take action beyond issuing statements. “Those who place their faith in diplomacy must demonstrate their ability to assert influence on the international community,” he said.

“The resistance remains committed to the ceasefire agreement. We are not warmongers. Hezbollah will announce, at the appropriate time, whether it intends to change its stance.”


Israel is trying to destabilize Lebanon and Syria, Arab League chief laments

Updated 12 sec ago
Follow

Israel is trying to destabilize Lebanon and Syria, Arab League chief laments

  • Israel’s resumption of targeted assassinations in Lebanon is an unacceptable and condemnable breach of the ceasefire agreement it signed with Lebanon late last year, Aboul Gheit said in a statement

CAIRO: Arab League Secretary-General Ahmed Aboul Gheit on Saturday accused Israel of trying to destabilize Syria and Lebanon through irresponsible military provocations, in “flagrant disregard for international legal norms.”

In a statement, Aboul Gheit lamented that global inaction has further emboldened the Zionist state.

“(T)he wars waged by Israel on the occupied Palestinian territories, Lebanon, and Syria have entered a new phase of complete recklessness, deliberately violating signed agreements, invading countries, and killing more civilians,” said the statement carried by the Saudi Press Agency.

He said Israel’s resumption of targeted assassinations in Lebanon is an unacceptable and condemnable breach of the ceasefire agreement it signed with Lebanon late last year. 

Aboul Gheit suggested that Israel’s actions were driven by narrow domestic agendas at the expense of civilian lives and regional peace.

“It seems that the Israeli war machine does not want to stop as long as the occupation leaders insist on facing their internal crises by exporting them abroad, and this situation has become clear to everyone,” he said.

As per the Gaza Ministry of Health’s count last week, more than 50,000 people have been killed and over 113,200 wounded in Israeli attacks on Palestinian territories in retaliation against the Oct. 7, 2023, Hamas surprise attack on southern Israel.

In Lebanon, war monitors have said at least 3,961 people were killed and at least 16,520, wounded in Israel’s war with the Iran-backed Hezbollah movement from October 8, 2023, to November 26, 2024.

Syria’s new government accused Israel on April 3 of mounting a deadly destabilization campaign after a wave of strikes on military targets, including an airport, and a ground incursion killed 13 people, in the southern province of Daraa. 


Syrian government says studying Amnesty report on massacres

Updated 05 April 2025
Follow

Syrian government says studying Amnesty report on massacres

Damascus: Syria’s government said late Friday it was “closely following” the findings of a new Amnesty International report urging an investigation into sectarian massacres last month.
Amnesty called on the Syrian government in a report on Thursday to ensure accountability for the massacres targeting the Alawite minority, saying they may constitute war crimes.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights monitor has said security forces and allied groups killed more than 1,700 civilians, mostly Alawites, during the violence.
Interim President Ahmed Al-Sharaa, whose Islamist group Hayat Tahrir Al-Sham (HTS) led the offensive that toppled longtime ruler Bashar Assad in December, has vowed to prosecute those responsible.
In a statement on Friday, the government said it had been “following closely the Amnesty report” and its “preliminary findings.”
“It is up to the Independent National Commission for Investigation and Fact-Finding to evaluate them, in accordance with the mandate, independence, and broad powers granted to it by presidential decree,” it said.
The Syrian authorities have accused armed Assad supporters of sparking the violence by attacking the new security forces.
The government on Friday complained the report failed to note “the broader context of the events.”
It said the violence began with a “premeditated assault” by the “remnants of the previous regime, targeting army and internal security personnel.”
In the ensuing chaos, “acts of retaliation and serious violations occurred,” it said, vowing that these would be investigated and a report issued within a month.


Red Cross warns of continued threat of landmines in Iraq

Updated 05 April 2025
Follow

Red Cross warns of continued threat of landmines in Iraq

  • Organization calls for greater effort to reduce contamination that spans 2,100 sq. km.
  • More than 80 casualties recorded since 2023

LONDON: The International Committee of the Red Cross said on Friday that landmines and explosive remnants of war continue to pose a severe threat in Iraq, contaminating an estimated 2,100 sq. km.

In a statement issued to coincide with the International Day for Mine Awareness, the organization said landmines from past conflicts, including the Iran-Iraq War and the 2014–17 battle against Daesh, remained a major hazard.

The contamination had resulted in civilian casualties, forced displacement, restricted farmland access and slowed reconstruction efforts, it said.

Between 2023 and 2024, the ICRC recorded 78 casualties from landmines and remnants of war in Iraq. Earlier this year, three students were killed in an explosion in Abu Al-Khasib, Basra.

The ICRC has appealed for greater efforts to reduce contamination and support mine-affected communities. Clearance operations continue in cooperation with national authorities and humanitarian partners.

The call for action comes at a time when several NATO member states, namely Poland, Finland and the Baltic states, have signaled their intention to withdraw from the Ottawa Convention, the international treaty banning antipersonnel landmines. They cited the growing military threat from Russia as the reason for reconsidering the ban.

Meanwhile, the US, previously the largest funder of global mine clearance efforts, has cut back support due to a foreign aid review under the Trump administration.

Washington had contributed over $300 million annually, covering 40 percent of total international mine action funding, according to the 2024 Landmine Monitor report, which led to major clearance efforts in Iraq, Afghanistan and Laos.

A State Department official said last month that the US had restarted some global humanitarian demining programs but provided no details.


Hamas says Israeli offensive in Gaza ‘highly dangerous’ for hostages

Updated 04 April 2025
Follow

Hamas says Israeli offensive in Gaza ‘highly dangerous’ for hostages

  • “We have decided not to transfer these (hostages)... but (this situation) is highly dangerous to their lives,” said Abu Obeida

GAZA CITY: Hamas on Friday said Israel’s offensive in Gaza was creating a “highly dangerous” situation for the hostages held there, warning that half of the living captives were in areas where the army had ordered evacuations.
“Half of the living Israeli (hostages) are located in areas that the Israeli occupation army has requested to be evacuated in recent days,” Abu Obeida, spokesman for Hamas’s armed wing, said in a statement. “We have decided not to transfer these (hostages)... but (this situation) is highly dangerous to their lives.”


Kurdish fighters leave northern city in Syria as part of deal with central government

Updated 04 April 2025
Follow

Kurdish fighters leave northern city in Syria as part of deal with central government

  • The fighters left the predominantly Kurdish northern neighborhoods of Sheikh Maksoud and Achrafieh
  • The deal is a boost to an agreement reached last month

ALEPPO, Syria: Scores of US-backed Kurdish fighters left two neighborhoods in the Syrian Arab Republic’s northern city of Aleppo Friday as part of a deal with the central government in Damascus, which is expanding its authority in the country.
The fighters left the predominantly Kurdish northern neighborhoods of Sheikh Maksoud and Achrafieh, which had been under the control of Kurdish fighters in Aleppo over the past decade.
The deal is a boost to an agreement reached last month between Syria’s interim government and the Kurdish-led authority that controls the country’s northeast. The deal could eventually lead to the merger of the main US-backed force in Syria into the Syrian army.
The withdrawal of fighters from the US-backed and Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces came a day after dozens of prisoners from both sides were freed in Aleppo, Syria’s largest city.
Syria’s state news agency, SANA, reported that government forces were deployed along the road that SDF fighters will use to move between Aleppo and areas east of the Euphrates River, where the Kurdish-led force controls nearly a quarter of Syria.
Sheikh Maksoud and Achrafieh had been under SDF control since 2015 and remained so even when forces of ousted President Bashar Assad captured Aleppo in late 2016. The two neighborhoods remained under SDF control when forces loyal to current interim President Ahmad Al-Sharaa captured the city in November, and days later captured the capital, Damascus, removing Assad from power.
After being marginalized for decades under the rule of the Assad family rule, the deal signed last month promises Syria’s Kurds “constitutional rights,” including using and teaching their language, which were banned for decades.
Hundreds of thousands of Kurds, who were displaced during Syria’s nearly 14-year civil war, will return to their homes. Thousands of Kurds living in Syria who have been deprived of nationality for decades under Assad will be given the right of citizenship, according to the agreement.
Kurds made up 10 percent of the country’s prewar population of 23 million. Kurdish leaders say they don’t want full autonomy with their own government and parliament. They want decentralization and room to run their day-to day-affairs.