Hezbollah official among four dead in Israeli strike on Beirut

Short Url
Updated 01 April 2025
Follow

Hezbollah official among four dead in Israeli strike on Beirut

  • Attack also killed Hassan Bdeir’s son, Ali Hassan Bdeir, and two others, one of them a woman
  • Hassan Bdeir, known as ‘Hajj Rabih,’ was ‘a key figure in the party’s structure related to the Palestinian cause and its relations with various factions’

BEIRUT: Hassan Bdeir, a key Hezbollah official from Nmairiyeh in southern Lebanon, was killed in an Israeli airstrike carried out without warning on Beirut’s southern suburbs at 3:30 a.m. on Tuesday.

The attack, which struck an upper floor of a nine-story building at the intersection of the Sfeir and Mouawad neighborhoods, also killed the target’s son, Ali Hassan Bdeir, and two others, one of them a woman.

Seven others were wounded, according to the Ministry of Health. The attack caused significant damage to surrounding buildings and dozens of parked cars were damaged by falling debris.

This is the second Israeli attack on Beirut’s southern suburbs in less than a week since the ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hezbollah took effect on Nov. 27, 2024.

Media outlets close to Hezbollah reported that the target was the “deputy head of the Palestinian affairs file within the party.”

According to sources, Hassan Bdeir, known as “Hajj Rabih,” was “a key figure in the party’s structure related to the Palestinian cause and its relations with various factions.”

Al Arabiya reported that Bdeir “had previously coordinated with former Hamas deputy leader Saleh Al-Arouri, who was assassinated by Israel in Beirut’s southern suburbs.”

An Israeli statement claimed that “under the direction of Shin Bet, the Israeli air force carried out a strike in Beirut’s southern suburb, targeting a Hezbollah operative who had recently directed Hamas operatives and assisted them in planning a major and imminent attack against Israeli civilians.”

Israeli army spokesperson Avichay Adraee alleged that “Bdeir was a member of Hezbollah’s Unit 3900 and the Quds Force and was planning an imminent attack on Israeli civilians. He was targeted immediately to eliminate this threat.”

No details of the alleged planned attack were provided.

Israel’s Channel 14 reported that “Israeli security services had received information that Bdeir was planning an operation against an Israeli aircraft in Cyprus.”

Residents of the affected street were in shock because the airstrike was the first launched without without prior warning.

During the recent war, Adraee had typically announced target locations with an evacuation warning at least half an hour in advance.

Haitham, a resident of a nearby building, said: “People were asleep when the explosion shook the area. We did not expect an airstrike on the second day of Eid Al-Fitr. Screams erupted among the people and children. We did not know what to do: flee or stay where we were? What is happening? How can we continue living in this area now that it has become a target again?”

A resident in his fifties, who preferred anonymity, expressed his outrage. “People’s lives and livelihoods have become worthless in the absence of any local or international protection against the enemy that exploits everything.” he said.

According to a security source, the strike with two guided missiles “targeted the top floor of the building where Hassan Bdeir and his family live …This led to the complete destruction of two apartments and damage to two additional floors.”

Reuters reported a US State Department spokesperson, who said: “Israel was defending itself from rocket attacks that came from Lebanon.”

The spokesperson said that “hostilities have resumed because terrorists launched rockets into Israel from Lebanon,” and that “Washington supports Israel’s response.”

Lebanese officials swiftly condemned the attack.

President Joseph Aoun said: “It is a serious warning of intentions lurking against Lebanon, especially given its timing, which came after the signing of an agreement in Jeddah to control the Lebanese-Syrian border, under the ... sponsorship of Saudi Arabia. It also came following our visit to Paris and the complete convergence of views we witnessed with President (Emmanuel) Macron.”

Aoun added: “Israel’s persistence in its aggression requires us to make more effort to address Lebanon’s friends in the world, and to rally them in support of our right to full sovereignty over our land and to prevent any violation from the outside or inside infiltrators, who provide an additional pretext for aggression. It also calls for greater internal unity.”

Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri said the airstrike was “a blatant act of aggression against Lebanon and an Israeli attempt to sabotage the ceasefire agreement and derail its implementation — an agreement to which Lebanon has remained firmly committed.”

He urged the countries sponsoring the ceasefire agreement to pressure Israel into “halting its aggression against Lebanon and ending its violations of Lebanese sovereignty, and to withdraw from its occupied territories.”

Prime Minister Nawaf Salam described the strike as “a blatant violation of Resolution 1701, which affirms Lebanon’s sovereignty and territorial integrity, and a direct breach of the arrangements for the cessation of hostilities.”

After visiting the site of the attack, Hezbollah MP Ibrahim Al-Moussawi held “the international community, the US, and the Western nations” responsible for the strike.

“Nothing justifies the killing of civilians. Even if Israel claims a Hezbollah member was present in a civilian residential area, such an attack is legally indefensible,” he added.

Al-Moussawi urged the Lebanese state to take action beyond issuing statements. “Those who place their faith in diplomacy must demonstrate their ability to assert influence on the international community,” he said.

“The resistance remains committed to the ceasefire agreement. We are not warmongers. Hezbollah will announce, at the appropriate time, whether it intends to change its stance.”


In Tunisia, snails inch toward replacing red meat as people turn to cheaper protein

Updated 13 sec ago
Follow

In Tunisia, snails inch toward replacing red meat as people turn to cheaper protein

Snails have been consumed in Tunisia for more than seven millenia
Low in fat and high in iron, calcium and magnesium, snails offer both nutritional value and economic relief

AKOUDA, Tunisia: In fields outside their hometown in central Tunisia, an increasing number of unemployed young men are seeking a new way to make a living, picking snails off of rocks and leaves and collecting them in large plastic bags to take to the local market to be sold.
More and more people, they say, are buying the shelled wanderers as the price of market staples remains high and out of reach for many families.
“They’re profitable, beneficial and quite in demand,” said Karim, a 29-year-old snail seller from the village of Akouda said.
Snails have been consumed in Tunisia for more than seven millenia, according to research published last year in the journal Archaeological and Anthropological Sciences. In today’s world considered mostly a bistro delicacy, they’re again gaining traction in Tunisia as a practical alternative to red meat — a protein-rich substitute that pairs perfectly with salt, spices, and bold seasonings.
The snails are a lifeline for some in Tunisia, where youth unemployment now hovers above 40 percent and inflation remains high, three years after spiking to its highest levels in decades. A lack of opportunity has fueled social discontent throughout the country and, increasingly, migration to Europe.
Low in fat and high in iron, calcium and magnesium, snails offer both nutritional value and economic relief. In a country where unemployment runs high and median wages remain low, they cost about half as much as beef per kilogram and often less when sold by the bowl.
“Snails are better for cooking than lamb. If lamb meat costs 60 dinars ($19.30), a bowl of snails is five dinars ($1.60),” a man named Mohammed said at the Akouda market.
As the price of meat and poultry continues to rise, more Tunisians are turning to affordable, alternative sources of protein. Beyond their economic appeal, these substitutes are also drawing interest for their environmental benefits. Scientists say they offer a more sustainable solution, producing far fewer carbon emissions and avoiding the deforestation linked to traditional livestock farming.
Wahiba Dridi, who serves snails at her restaurant in Tunis, cooks them in a traditional fashion with peppers and spices. She said they were popular throughout this year’s Ramadan, which ended last week. Though Tunisian Muslims traditionally eat red meat at the meals during which they break their daily fasts, a kilogram of snails costs less than 28 Tunisian dinars ($9) compared to beef, which costs 55 dinars per kilogram ($18).
“If people knew the value of snails they would eat them all year long,” Dridi said.

US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden had delayed, say sources

Updated 04 April 2025
Follow

US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden had delayed, say sources

  • The rifle sale is a small transaction next to the billions of dollars worth of weapons that Washington supplies to Israel
  • The March 6 congressional notification said the US government had taken into account “political, military, economic, human rights, and arms control considerations“

WASHINGTON: The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters and a source familiar with the matter, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed over concerns they could be used by extremist Israeli settlers.
The State Department sent a notification to Congress on March 6 for the $24 million sale, saying the end user would be the Israeli National Police, according to the document.
The rifle sale is a small transaction next to the billions of dollars worth of weapons that Washington supplies to Israel. But it drew attention when the Biden administration delayed the sale over concerns that the weapons could end up in the hands of Israeli settlers, some of whom have carried out attacks on Palestinians in the Israeli-occupied West Bank.
The Biden administration has imposed sanctions on individuals and entities accused of committing violence in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, which has seen a rise in settler attacks on Palestinians.
On his first day in office on January 20, Trump issued an executive order rescinding US sanctions on Israeli settlers in a reversal of US policy. Since then, his administration has approved the sale of billions of dollars worth of weapons to Israel.
The March 6 congressional notification said the US government had taken into account “political, military, economic, human rights, and arms control considerations.”
The State Department did not respond to a request for comment when asked if the administration sought assurances from Israel on the use of the weapons.

CLOSE TIES
Since a 1967 Middle East war, Israel has occupied the West Bank, which Palestinians want as the core of an independent state, and has built settlements that most countries deem illegal. Israel disputes this, citing historical and biblical ties to the land.
Settler violence had been on the rise prior to the eruption of the Gaza war, and has worsened since the conflict began over a year ago.
Trump has forged close ties to Netanyahu, pledging to back Israel in its war against Hamas in the Gaza Strip. His administration has in some cases pushed ahead with Israel arms sales despite requests from Democratic lawmakers that the sales be paused until they received more information.
The US Senate on Thursday overwhelmingly rejected a bid to block $8.8 billion in arms sales to Israel over human rights concerns, voting 82-15 and 83-15 to reject two resolutions of disapproval over sales of massive bombs and other offensive military equipment.
The resolutions were offered by Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont, an independent who caucuses with Democrats.
The rifle sale had been put on hold after Democratic lawmakers objected and sought information on how Israel was going to use them. The congressional committees eventually cleared the sale but the Biden administration kept the hold in place.
The latest episode in the decades-old Israeli-Palestinian conflict began with a Hamas attack on Israeli communities on October 7, 2023 with gunmen killing 1,200 people and taking more than 250 hostages, according to Israeli tallies. Israel’s campaign has so far killed more than 50,000 Palestinians, Gaza health authorities say.
Israel’s National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir, a far-right member of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s government, oversees the Israeli police force. The Times of Israel newspaper in November 2023 reported that his ministry has put “a heavy emphasis on arming civilian security squads” in the aftermath of October 7 attacks.


Medecins Sans Frontieres ‘appalled’ by second staff member killed in Gaza within weeks

Updated 04 April 2025
Follow

Medecins Sans Frontieres ‘appalled’ by second staff member killed in Gaza within weeks

  • Hussam Al Loulou died in the strike on Apr. 1 in central Gaza

GENEVA: Global medical charity Medecins Sans Frontieres said on Friday it was appalled and saddened by the killing of one of its staff by an air strike in Gaza, the second within two weeks.


Hussam Al Loulou died in the strike on Apr. 1 in central Gaza, alongside his wife and 28-year-old daughter, the organization said.


Uganda president holds talks with South Sudanese leaders to try to avoid civil war

Updated 04 April 2025
Follow

Uganda president holds talks with South Sudanese leaders to try to avoid civil war

  • Goc said that the country’s leadership had assured Museveni of its commitment to implement the peace agreement
  • Uganda last month deployed troops to South Sudan to support the government

NAIROBI: Uganda’s President Yoweri Museveni was expected to meet South Sudanese officials on the second day of his trip to the capital, Juba, as the UN has expressed concern of a renewed civil war after the main opposition leader was put under house arrest.
Museveni, who is among the guarantors of a 2018 peace agreement that ended a five-year civil war, held closed-door discussions with President Salva Kiir on Thursday.
South Sudan’s Foreign Minister Mohammed Abdallah Goc said that the country’s leadership had assured Museveni of its commitment to implement the peace agreement.
South Sudan’s political landscape remains fragile and recent violence between government troops and armed groups allied to the opposition have escalated tension.
Uganda last month deployed troops to South Sudan to support the government, but it was criticized by South Sudan’s main opposition party SPLM-IO, whose leader Riek Machar is under house arrest on charges of incitement.
In early March, the armed group loyal to Machar attacked a UN helicopter that was on a mission to evacuate government troops from the restive northern Upper Nile State.
Western countries including Germany and Norway have temporarily closed their embassies in Juba while the USand the UK have reduced embassy staff.


Turkiye wants no confrontation with Israel in Syria, foreign minister says

Updated 04 April 2025
Follow

Turkiye wants no confrontation with Israel in Syria, foreign minister says

  • Fidan said Israel’s actions in Syria were paving the way for future regional instability
  • If the new administration in Damascus wants to have “certain understandings” with Israel, then that is their own business, he added

BRUSSELS: Turkiye wants no confrontation with Israel in Syria after repeated Israeli attacks on military sites there undermined the new government’s ability to deter threats, Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan told Reuters on Friday.
In an interview on the sidelines of a meeting of NATO foreign ministers in Brussels, Fidan said Israel’s actions in Syria — where the administration of President Ahmed Al-Sharaa is a close Turkish ally — were paving the way for future regional instability.
If the new administration in Damascus wants to have “certain understandings” with Israel, which like Turkiye is a neighbor of Syria, then that is their own business, he added.
NATO member Turkiye has fiercely criticized Israel over its attacks on Gaza since 2023, saying they amount to a genocide against the Palestinians, and has applied to join a case at the World Court against Israel while also halting all trade.
Israel denies the genocide accusations.
The animosity between the regional powers has spilled over into Syria, with Israeli forces striking Syria for weeks since a new administration took control in Damascus. Turkiye has called the Israeli strikes an encroachment on Syrian territories, while Israel has said it would not allow any hostile forces in Syria.
Asked about US President Donald Trump’s threats of military strikes against Iran, Fidan said diplomacy was needed to resolve the dispute and that Ankara did not want to see any attack taking place against its neighbor Iran.