Northwest Pakistan sees influx of over 95,000 tourists during Eid holidays

People enjoy rides at a carnival during celebrations a day after Eid al-Fitr, that marks the end of the Islamic holy fasting month of Ramadan, in Karachi on April 1, 2025 (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 03 April 2025
Follow

Northwest Pakistan sees influx of over 95,000 tourists during Eid holidays

  • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa’s Naran Valley saw the highest tourist turnout, says the provincial tourism authority
  • Northwestern Pakistan is home to scenic mountain landscapes, lush valleys and picturesque lakes

PESHAWAR: Over 95,000 tourists visited various scenic destinations across Pakistan’s northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) province during the Eid Al-Fitr holidays, the provincial tourism authority said on Thursday.
KP, with its scenic mountains, valleys and lakes, is home to popular tourist destinations like Swat, Malam Jabba, Abbottabad, Kaghan, Naran and Shogran, which attract visitors from across Pakistan.
Pakistan observed the three-day Eid Al-Fitr holidays — celebrated by Muslims worldwide to mark the end of the fasting month of Ramadan — from Mar. 31 to Apr. 2.
“Tourists flocked to various tourist destinations in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa on Eid-Al-Fitr,” Muhammad Saad, the spokesperson for the KP Tourism Authority, said in a statement on Thursday. 
“More than 95,000 tourists were recorded in three days.”
He said the highest number of tourists visited the province’s scenic Naran valley, 42,111, during the Eid holidays and the Galiyat region saw 28,000 visitors during the same time period. 
At least 16,400 tourists visited Kumrat valley, he added.
“Tourism police personnel are performing their duty at various tourist destinations,” the official said.
Tourism in KP saw a massive surge during last year’s Eid holidays, with an increase of over 360 percent compared to 2023.
According to data from the provincial tourism authority, at least 580,000 tourists visited northwestern Pakistan during the five-day holidays in April 2024.
While Pakistan’s inflation has significantly decreased compared to last year, militant attacks, especially in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, have surged recently.
March saw militant attacks in Pakistan exceed 100 for the first time in over nine years, making it the deadliest month since 2015, according to the Pakistan Institute for Conflict and Security Studies (PICSS). 
The think tank reported that KP and southwestern Balochistan province were the hardest-hit provinces, although eastern Punjab and southern Sindh also witnessed a rise in militant activity.
Islamabad has repeatedly accused Afghanistan of providing shelter to militant groups targeting civilians and security forces in cross-border attacks in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, a claim that has been denied by Kabul’s authorities.


PCB condemns ‘abusive language’ directed at Pakistan players after New Zealand loss

Updated 20 sec ago
Follow

PCB condemns ‘abusive language’ directed at Pakistan players after New Zealand loss

  • The statement follows Khushdil Shah’s altercation with Afghan fans at Mount Maunganui
  • Khushdil Shah stepped in when anti-Pakistan slogans emerged, the cricket board says

ISLAMABAD: The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) on Saturday condemned “abusive language” directed at Pakistan players by foreign spectators after the national side suffered a 3-0 loss against New Zealand in their one-day international (ODI) series.
The PCB statement followed Pakistan all-rounder Khushdil Shah’s altercation with fans following Pakistan’s loss to New Zealand at Mount Maunganui.
The board said foreign spectators hurled inappropriate remarks at cricketers present on the field.
“When anti-Pakistan slogans emerged, cricketer Khushdil Shah stepped in and urged the spectators to refrain,” the PCB said in a statement.
“In response, Afghan spectators escalated the situation by using further inappropriate language in Pashto.”
The development comes at a time of strained ties between Pakistan and Afghanistan over a surge in militants attacks in Pakistan’s western provinces that border Afghanistan. Islamabad has frequently accused Afghanistan of sheltering and supporting militant groups that launch cross-border attacks. Afghan officials deny involvement and insist that Pakistan’s security issues are an internal matter of Islamabad.
In the past, Pakistani and Afghan fans have also been engaged in heated exchange of words during various fixtures accusing each other of interference.
“Following the Pakistani team’s complaint, stadium officials intervened and ejected the two disruptive spectators,” the PCB added.


Pakistan finance chief says delegation planned to US over 29 percent tariff

Updated 57 min 45 sec ago
Follow

Pakistan finance chief says delegation planned to US over 29 percent tariff

  • Muhammad Aurangzeb says Pakistan is looking at the situation as both an opportunity and a challenge
  • He informs the government is finalizing recommendations for a ‘win-win’ outcome for both countries

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s finance chief Muhammad Aurangzeb said on Saturday the government plans to send a high-level delegation to Washington to discuss the United States’ recent decision to impose a 29 percent tariff on Pakistani goods, describing the move as both a challenge and an opportunity to reset trade ties.
The finance minister’s remarks at a news conference came days after US President Donald Trump announced “reciprocal tariffs” on multiple countries, a measure widely viewed as a setback for a global economy still recovering from the pandemic. Trump defended the tariffs as necessary to address trade imbalances and what he termed unfair treatment of American goods abroad.
Pakistan’s inclusion in the tariff list has raised concern in Islamabad as the country pushes for export-driven growth. The US is Pakistan’s largest export destination, and the newly imposed duties threaten to undermine its fragile economic recovery.
Reacting to the development, Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif this week formed a steering committee led by Aurangzeb to assess the impact of the tariffs and develop a policy response.
“You should never let a good crisis go to waste,” Aurangzeb told reporters. “So, we are looking at it both as a challenge and as an opportunity. On the opportunity side, it’s a relative value discussion in terms of what is happening at other locations and jurisdictions. And on the challenge side, what we can do in terms of the negotiations with the US administration.”
“In the next couple of days, we are going to finalize our recommendations to the prime minister and ... with [his] approval ... send a high-level delegation to Washington to get our views across and to ensure that we want to be ... a long term strategic partner [with the US],” he added.
Aurangzeb said a policy package was under development to guide future discussions with American officials.
“We want to make sure that we, in terms of our representations, put forward how we see [the tariff issue] in the medium to long term as a win-win situation for both Pakistan and the US,” he said.
According to the country’s central bank, Pakistan exported $5.44 billion worth of goods to the US in 2024. In the first eight months of the current fiscal year (July–February), exports to the US totaled $4 billion, up 10 percent from the same period last year.
Nearly 90 percent of those exports are textiles, which analysts expect to be hardest hit by the new tariffs.
Officials warn the increased cost burden could reduce Pakistan’s competitiveness, particularly if countries like China, Bangladesh and Vietnam — facing higher US tariffs — divert more of their exports to Europe, increasing competition in alternative markets.
The US tariff announcement could also disrupt Pakistan’s economic stabilization efforts, which rely on support from International Monetary Fund programs.
Global financial markets dropped sharply on Friday after China pledged retaliatory tariffs of 34 percent on US goods, heightening fears of a deepening trade war and possible global recession.


Authorities warn of action as nationalist party announces Quetta march for Baloch activists’ release

Updated 05 April 2025
Follow

Authorities warn of action as nationalist party announces Quetta march for Baloch activists’ release

  • The development follows Sardar Akhtar Mengal’s announcement of the protest march for the release of BYC leaders
  • The provincial government says it will take legal action against people delivering anti-state speeches at BNP protest

QUETTA: The provincial administration of Pakistan’s southwestern Balochistan on Saturday warned of strict action after a Baloch nationalist party announced to march to Quetta to pressure authorities for the release of activists from an ethnic rights group.
The Balochistan National Party (BNP-M) led by Sardar Akhtar Mengal on Friday announced the march toward the provincial capital after holding two inconclusive rounds of talks with officials, demanding the release of detained ethnic rights activists.
The Baloch Yakjehti Committee’s (BYC) top leader, Dr. Mahrang Baloch, and several of her colleagues were arrested on March 22 after staging a sit-in outside the University of Balochistan.
Pakistani authorities charged them with terrorism, sedition and murder following a protest in which three demonstrators were killed, according to police documents.
Mengal decided to launch a protest after objecting to the government’s treatment of female BYC leaders, calling for their immediate release and condemning what he described as the suppression of their democratic rights.
“The provincial government is ready to allow Mengal and his party to protest at Sariab Road [in Quetta], but he is adamant on entering the Red Zone,” Shahid Rind, the Balochistan administration’s spokesperson, said at a news conference, referring to a high-security area housing key government buildings.
“The Government of Balochistan will not allow anyone to violate Section 144, and action will be taken against the protesters,” he added, citing the legal provision that empowers authorities to ban public gatherings of more than four people to maintain law and order.
Rind said Mengal had demanded the release of BYC activists at the very start of the negotiations.
“If the courts provide relief to Mahrang Baloch and other activists, the government will accept the decision,” he continued while explaining the authorities’ position over the issue during the talks.
“We still stand by the offers made to Sardar Mengal,” he added. “But now the ball is in his court.”
During the media interaction, Rind said anti-state speeches had been made during Mengal’s protest, and the government would take legal action against those responsible.
His comments came a day after Pakistan’s top army generals met to review the national security situation and pledged not to let “foreign-backed proxies” and their “political supporters” destabilize Balochistan.
Authorities have long claimed a nexus between Baloch Liberation Army (BLA) militants and BYC activists, an allegation the latter deny.
The crackdown on BYC leaders followed a deadly train attack last month in Balochistan, in which BLA separatists took hundreds of passengers hostage. The standoff lasted nearly 36 hours until the army launched a rescue operation, killing 33 militants.
A final count showed 26 passengers had also died in the incident.
Authorities later accused BYC activists of storming a mortuary in Quetta and seizing the bodies of three militants.
Asked about reports of government negotiations with BYC chief Dr. Mahrang Baloch in prison, Rind said the provincial administration was not engaged in any such dialogue.


Pakistan to offer full Urdu commentary for PSL this year to reach wider audience

Updated 05 April 2025
Follow

Pakistan to offer full Urdu commentary for PSL this year to reach wider audience

  • Cricket commentary was once offered in both Urdu and English during radio and early TV’s golden era
  • A senior PCB official calls Urdu commentary a ‘historic moment’ for the league and its growing fanbase

KARACHI: The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) announced on Saturday it will offer full-match commentary in Urdu for the first time in the history of the Pakistan Super League (PSL) this year, saying the move will make the tournament more accessible to a wider national audience.
Cricket commentary in Pakistan was long delivered in both Urdu and English, especially during the golden era of radio and early television. Legendary commentators like Omar Kureishi and Chishti Mujahid often switched between the two languages or provided parallel coverage.
Urdu commentary was particularly prominent on Radio Pakistan, helping bring the game closer to the masses and expanding its reach across the country.
“Fans will now be able to follow live broadcasts in Urdu, allowing them to enjoy the excitement and action of PSL matches in Pakistan’s national language,” the PCB said in a statement. “This initiative strengthens our connection with the millions of cricket lovers who have long awaited this addition.”
The upcoming edition of the HBL PSL will run from April 11 to May 18 across four cities — Lahore, Karachi, Multan and Rawalpindi.
The PCB said details regarding broadcast arrangements and commentary panels for both Urdu and English will be announced in due course.
PCB Chief Executive Officer Salman Naseer called it a “historic moment” for the league and its expanding fanbase.
He said cricket was a unifying force in Pakistan, and by offering commentary in Urdu throughout the tournament, the PCB aimed to bring the excitement and energy of the PSL closer to fans across the country.


PM Sharif hails Ramadan relief success, orders digital wallet model for future welfare programs

Updated 05 April 2025
Follow

PM Sharif hails Ramadan relief success, orders digital wallet model for future welfare programs

  • Government transferred cash directly into digital wallets to provide Ramadan relief to deserving citizens
  • Over 951,000 digital wallets were used and 1.9 million payments made, according to official statistics

ISLAMABAD: Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif on Friday lauded the successful implementation of Pakistan’s Ramadan Relief Package 2025, praising the transparent use of digital wallets for fund distribution and instructing officials to adopt the model for future government programs, state media reported.
The premier made the comments during a meeting in Islamabad to review the execution of the nationwide relief scheme, which aimed to provide financial support during the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan.
The package, rolled out across the country including Gilgit-Baltistan and Azad Kashmir, utilized digital tools to deliver assistance to beneficiaries and was promoted as a step toward the country’s broader digital transformation agenda.
Under the initiative, aid was transferred directly into recipients’ digital wallets — secure mobile accounts linked to national ID numbers — allowing beneficiaries to access funds via mobile apps, ATMs or designated agents without needing a traditional bank account.
“Appreciating the effective and transparent implementation of the Ramazan Relief Package 2025, [the prime minister] directed the authorities concerned to emulate this model in future government schemes,” the Associated Press of Pakistan (APP) news agency reported the PM Office as saying.
It said 1.9 million digital payments were made and over 951,000 digital wallets used, marking what officials described as a significant move toward realizing the “Digital Nation Pakistan” vision.
More than 823,000 women and over 2,500 persons with disabilities accessed the funds through digital platforms, APP added.
Authorities said 79 percent of the allocated funds had been disbursed, with a team of 2,224 employees resolving over 1,200 complaints during the scheme’s implementation.
Millions of robocalls, SMS alerts and outbound calls were also made to raise awareness, the report added.