Fakhar Zaman confident of returning for Pakistan at the Champions Trophy

Pakistan's Fakhar Zaman celebrates after scoring a century (100 runs) during the 2023 ICC Men's Cricket World Cup one-day international (ODI) match between New Zealand and Pakistan at the M. Chinnaswamy Stadium in Bengaluru on November 4, 2023. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 08 January 2025
Follow

Fakhar Zaman confident of returning for Pakistan at the Champions Trophy

  • Zaman criticized the PCB before Babar Azam was rested for two England Test matches
  • PCB also issued a show-cause notice over Zaman’s social media post supporting Azam

ISLAMABAD: Fakhar Zaman is confident of returning to international cricket after eight months when Pakistan hosts next month’s Champions Trophy.
Fakhar hasn’t played international cricket since Pakistan’s first-round exit from the T20 World Cup last June and subsequently missed out on central contract with the Pakistan Cricket Board for the first time in eight years.
“People don’t know that after the T20 World Cup I got sick,” Fakhar explained to the Vipers Voices podcast as he prepared to play ILT20 for Desert Vipers in the United Arab Emirates. “I was not part of the team because of my medical condition, but now [I’m] 100 percent [sure] I will play for Pakistan.”
The veteran opening batter made headlines when he criticized the national cricket administration just before Babar Azam was controversially rested for the final two home test matches against England late last year due to his inconsistent form in red-ball cricket. The PCB issued Fakhar a show cause notice for his social media post in favor of Babar.
The post didn’t go down well with PCB chairman Mohsin Naqvi, who also expressed concerns over Fakhar’s fitness.
“It cannot happen like that if selection committee is not playing one player, then other players start tweeting to express their displeasure,” Naqvi told reporters at the time. “Players are not allowed to function like this, and we will never allow that. The main issue with [Fakhar] is his fitness test, that he was not able to clear.”
In the absence of Fakhar, Pakistan won three away ODI series over the last two months, beating Australia, Zimbabwe and South Africa under the captaincy of new white-ball captain Mohammad Rizwan.
Back home, Fakhar returned to competitive cricket during the domestic Champions Cup T20 tournament last month and was the third highest-scorer with 303 runs in 10 games at a strike rate of 132.31.
“The plan was to get fully fit and play in the Champions Trophy,” Fakhar said. “I am lucky to be fit right now. I started from the Champions Trophy 2017 and that went really well for me. Now I am very excited for the next edition also.”
Fakhar had a memorable tournament in 2017 when he scored a match-winning century in the final against India.
Pakistan’s latest white-ball sensation, Saim Ayub, made two ODI centuries in South Africa before he fractured his right ankle during the second test at Cape Town last week. Ayub has been ruled out of competitive cricket for at least six weeks, putting his participation in doubt for the Champions Trophy.
The PCB flew Ayub to London from Cape Town on Monday for treatment, and Fakhar said he hoped Ayub recovers in time as Pakistan prepares to host its first major ICC tournament next month in 29 years.
“I hope he [Ayub] will recover quickly,” Fakhar said. “I was thinking to call Saim yesterday, just to talk to him about this injury. Believe me, he is such a great player that if he continues to play for the next four-five years, he will be among the top three players in the world.”
Fakhar will be playing for Desert Vipers in the ILT20 and was the top target for Tom Moody, who is director of cricket with the franchise. Fakhar said he was excited to play alongside West Indies T20 captain Sherfane Rutherford.
“He is one of the best cricketers in the T20 format and I really enjoy seeing him batting,” he said. “I am very excited to be part of this team, and I want to share the crease with him. He is one of the best players, so I am very excited to play with him.”


In the heart of Bahawalpur, a 152-year-old palace continues to reflect its royal past

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

In the heart of Bahawalpur, a 152-year-old palace continues to reflect its royal past

  • Built by the ruler of Bahawalpur’s princely state in 1875, Noor Mahal spans over 44,600 square feet, houses 32 rooms
  • Legend says the palace was built for the nawab’s wife, who refused to live there after seeing a nearby graveyard

BAHAWALPUR: A young nawab once built a palace for his wife, so goes a local legend, only for her to abandon it after a single visit. As the tale is told, Nawab Sadiq Muhammad Khan IV had Noor Mahal constructed for his spouse, who, after spending one night there, glimpsed a nearby graveyard from the balcony and refused to return, considering it a bad omen.

The story may not hold up to historical scrutiny, but it continues to captivate the many tourists who flock to Noor Mahal, Bahawalpur’s most iconic monument. Towering over manicured gardens, the palace, built in 1875, is famed for its Indo-European architecture and striking symmetry.

Before joining Pakistan in 1956, Bahawalpur was a princely state, one of over 500 semi-autonomous territories in British India ruled by local monarchs. These rulers retained control over internal affairs while pledging allegiance to the British Crown.

The 152-year-old Noor Mahal was a crown jewel of Bahawalpur under its last great ruler, lending some credence to the theory that it may have been built as a gesture of affection for Noor Jahan, his wife. Some historians, however, offer a different reading.

“At the time, the Nawab family had multiple palaces, and Noor Mahal was primarily intended as a guest house for foreign dignitaries and experts,” Dr. Nadeem Omar Tarar, an art historian, told Arab News while challenging the popular story.

Nevertheless, another scholar, Dr. Usman Ali, maintained that the building might originally have been planned as a personal residence before its use shifted.

“The 1904 Gazetteer acknowledges that it was originally designed as a personal residence but later repurposed due to its proximity to the graveyard,” he said.

The story of Nawab Sadiq Muhammad Khan’s ascension to the throne is equally intriguing. When his father died at the age of 29 on March 25, 1866, Khan was just four years old. The young nawab was immediately declared his successor, but his position was challenged by rival factions seeking control of the state.

Fearing internal unrest, his family and loyalists turned to the British for support. In return for their intervention, the British assumed guardianship of the child ruler, securing complete political influence over Bahawalpur.

“The British government took the young Nawab under its guardianship, ensuring his personal education, health and training while also focusing on the development of every sector of the state,” Hafizur Rahman Hafiz wrote in his 1924 book, “Tajdaran-e-Riyasat Bahawalpur.”

To oversee both state affairs and the young Nawab’s upbringing, Major Charles Cherry Minchin was appointed political agent in November 1866 and served as the de facto authority until Nawab Sadiq IV formally assumed power at the age of 18.

Noor Mahal was constructed over an area of 44,600 square feet, featuring 32 rooms — 14 of them in the basement — along with six verandas and five domes.

Its design was selected from 11 architectural proposals solicited from across India, with the final plan submitted by a building designer named Muhammad Hussain, adopted with minor modifications.

The palace blends Corinthian and Islamic styles, with columns, balustrades and pediments sitting alongside domes and angled arches, a signature of Indo-Saracenic architecture.

A commemorative inscription and state coins were buried in its foundations during construction as a good omen, according to court historian Azizur Rahman Aziz in his book, “Subh-e-Sadiq.”

After Bahawalpur joined Pakistan in 1956, Noor Mahal came under the Auqaf Department. In 1971, the Pakistan Army leased the property and eventually bought it in 1997 for Rs119 million ($428,400).

Today, the palace is open to the public and remains a major tourist attraction. Each evening, visitors gather for a sound and light show narrating Bahawalpur’s history, from its state rulers to its accession to Pakistan.

“The immersive experience draws large crowds every weekend, running throughout the year,” said local tourism official Waqas Ahmed.


Pakistan delivers first batch of quake aid to Myanmar as death toll tops 3,000

Updated 03 April 2025
Follow

Pakistan delivers first batch of quake aid to Myanmar as death toll tops 3,000

  • Aid workers fear higher death toll from 7.7 quake as remote areas remain cut off
  • Earthquake has worsened Myanmar’s deepening humanitarian crisis amid civil war

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s first humanitarian consignment for victims of the devastating earthquake in Myanmar was handed over to local authorities at Yangon International Airport, the National Disaster Management Authority in Islamabad said in a statement on Thursday.
The 7.7-magnitude earthquake struck nearly a week ago, with its epicenter near Mandalay, Myanmar’s second-largest city. It caused widespread devastation, toppling thousands of buildings, buckling roads and destroying key infrastructure across several regions.
The death toll has climbed to 3,085, according to an update by Myanmar’s military authorities, who said 4,715 people were injured and 341 remain missing.
Pakistan has pledged 70 tons of relief goods to Myanmar and has so far delivered half the promised amount.
“Ambassador of Pakistan at Myanmar H.E. Imran Haider along with Pakistan Embassy’s diplomats/ officials handed over the relief goods to the Chief Minister of Yangon Region and Director General Training of MoFA [Ministry of Foreign Affairs],” the NDMA said.
“The Government of Pakistan and Pakistan’s National Disaster Management Authority remains steadfast in its commitment to providing humanitarian assistance to earthquake-affected people of Myanmar,” it added.
The natural disaster has worsened an already dire humanitarian situation in Myanmar, where the military junta seized power from Aung San Suu Kyi’s elected government in 2021, triggering a nationwide civil conflict.
Even before the quake, over 3 million people had been displaced and nearly 20 million were in need of humanitarian assistance, according to the United Nations.
Media reports and aid workers warn the true toll could be far higher, as many remote areas remain inaccessible due to damaged infrastructure and disrupted communication lines.
With input from AP
 


UN rights council adopts Pakistan-led OIC resolution on Palestine seeking Israel’s accountability

Updated 03 April 2025
Follow

UN rights council adopts Pakistan-led OIC resolution on Palestine seeking Israel’s accountability

  • Pakistan’s top diplomat at the UN council says impunity for human rights violations enables more and worse violations
  • The resolution calls for a mechanism to prosecute those responsible for the most serious crimes against Palestinians

ISLAMABAD: The United Nations Human Rights Council on Wednesday adopted a resolution presented by Pakistan on behalf of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC), calling for accountability for Israel and justice for Palestinians in the Occupied Palestinian Territories (OPT), amid the ongoing conflict in Gaza.
The war in Gaza, which began in October 2023, has persisted despite multiple international efforts to broker a ceasefire. The Palestinian death toll, according to latest figures, has exceeded 50,000, with women and children making up a large share of the casualties.
Thousands remain missing under the rubble of buildings destroyed in Israeli airstrikes. In parallel, there have been mounting reports of harassment, arbitrary detentions, and even sexual assaults against Palestinians in the West Bank and East Jerusalem.
“Over the past eighteen months, the Palestinian people under occupation have faced horror upon horror,” Pakistan’s top diplomat at the UN mission in Geneva, Ambassador Bilal Ahmed, told the Council. “Whether in the desolate Gaza Strip or the West Bank including East Jerusalem, this Council has borne witness to a litany of crimes that demand justice.”
Ahmed said the resolution reflects the International Court of Justice’s advisory opinion from July 2024, which declared Israel’s continued presence in the Palestinian territories illegal.
It also incorporates findings by the UN Independent International Commission of Inquiry on the widespread and systematic use of sexual violence against Palestinians, particularly women and girls.
The resolution emphasizes the need to prevent and punish “incitement to genocide in Gaza,” in line with the ICJ’s provisional measures issued in January 2024.
It further calls for the establishment of an independent mechanism to assist in the investigation and prosecution of those responsible for the most serious crimes under international law.
“We have long known that impunity for human rights violations enables more and worse violations,” Ahmed said. “The adoption of this resolution would signal the strong resolve of this Council to end impunity for serial violators. For the Palestinian people, it would be the light at the end of an unimaginably dark tunnel.”
Pakistan’s Permanent Mission to the United Nations in Geneva confirmed later that the resolution was adopted by an overwhelming majority.


Trump targets Pakistan with 29% tariff as part of new trade policy

Updated 03 April 2025
Follow

Trump targets Pakistan with 29% tariff as part of new trade policy

  • US is a key market for Pakistani exports, with bilateral trade estimated at $7.3 billion in 2024
  • US has also slapped a 26% reciprocal tariff on India, dashing New Delhi’s hopes of tariff relief

KARACHI: United States President Donald Trump announced on Wednesday the imposition of reciprocal tariffs on several countries, including a 29% tariff on Pakistani products, a move widely seen as a jolt to the global economy still recovering from the COVID-19 pandemic.
The decision came after Trump defended the measures as necessary to address long-standing trade imbalances and what he described as unfair treatment of American goods abroad.
The US leader has called for realigning trade with both allies and competitors since taking office, arguing that high tariffs imposed by partner countries have effectively subsidized their economies at America’s expense.
According to a list of tariffs shared by Reuters, Trump has imposed a 29% tariff on Pakistan.
“Pakistan has been charging us a 58% tariff on our goods,” he was quoted as saying by Geo TV. “Hence, we are imposing a 29% tariff on their products.”
The US remains one of Pakistan’s largest trading partners.
According to the Office of the United States Trade Representative, total goods trade between the US and Pakistan was estimated at $7.3 billion in 2024. US exports to Pakistan reached $2.1 billion, marking a 4.4% increase from the previous year, while imports from Pakistan totaled $5.1 billion, up 4.9% compared to 2023.
Alongside Pakistan, the US has also slapped a 26% reciprocal tariff on India, in a blow to New Delhi’s expectations of tariff relief.
“In many cases, the friend is worse than the foe in terms of trade,” Reuters quoted Trump as saying during the announcement. “We subsidize a lot of countries and keep them going and keep them in business. Why are we doing this? I mean, at what point do we say you got to work for yourselves.”
“We are finally putting America first,” he added, calling trade deficits “a national emergency.”
Trump held up boards displaying the new tariff rates, ranging from 10% to 49% for most countries. He said that in most cases, the US was imposing about half the tariff rates that other countries charge, though in some instances the rates were matched exactly.
With input from Reuters


Over 51,000 tourists visited northwestern Pakistan during first two days of Eid

Updated 03 April 2025
Follow

Over 51,000 tourists visited northwestern Pakistan during first two days of Eid

  • Khyber Pakhtunkhwa’s picturesque Naran valley sees highest number of tourists, 28,112, says tourism authority
  • Northwestern Pakistan is home to many picturesque locations, scenic spots dotted with mountains, valleys and lakes

PESHAWAR: Over 51,000 tourists flocked to various picturesque destinations across Pakistan’s northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) province during the first two days of the Eid Al-Fitr holidays, the provincial tourism authority spokesperson said this week. 

The northwestern province is home to many picturesque locations and scenic spots dotted with mountains, valleys and lakes. Some of the popular tourist spots in the province can be found in Swat Valley, Malam Jabba, Abbottabad, Kaghan, Naran and Shogran which Pakistanis from all over the country visit during Eid holidays.

Pakistan marked the three-day Eid Al-Fitr holiday, which is celebrated by Muslims across the world when the fasting month of Ramadan ends, from Mar. 31-Apr. 2.

“Tourists flocked to various tourist destinations in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa on Eid-Al-Fitr,” Muhammad Saad, the spokesperson for the KP Tourism Authority, said in a statement on Wednesday. 

“More than 51,000 tourists were recorded in the first two days.”

He said the highest number of tourists came to KP’s scenic Naran valley, 28,112, during the first two days and the Galiyat region saw 17,000 visitors during the same time period. 

At least 3,100 tourists visited Kumrat valley, he added. 

“Tourism police personnel are performing their duty at various tourist destinations,” the official said. 

Tourism saw a massive surge in KP during last year’s Eid holidays, registering an increase of over 360 percent compared to 2023. As per data released by the provincial tourism authority last year, at least 580,000 tourists visited northwestern Pakistan during the five-day holidays in April 2024. 

While Pakistan’s inflation has declined considerably since last year, militant attacks, particularly in KP, have peaked recently. 

Militant attacks in Pakistan surpassed 100 in March for the first time in over nine years, marking it to be the deadliest month since 2015, leading security think tank Pakistan Institute for Conflict and Security Studies (PICSS) said on Tuesday.

The think tank said KP and Balochistan were the hardest hit provinces last month, though Punjab and Sindh also experienced an uptick in militant activity.

Islamabad has repeatedly blamed Afghanistan for providing shelter to militant groups targeting civilians and security forces in cross-border attacks in KP, an allegation denied by the authorities in Kabul.